ClickOnce - uninstall issue not sure how to deal with

Ask general questions here.
dhale

ClickOnce - uninstall issue not sure how to deal with

Post by dhale » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:46 pm

We have a few Winforms apps that use ClickOnce deployment. I am having an odd issue related to uninstallation of the click once apps that I cant quite figure out how to work around.

It seems that possibly, Ranorex is not able to fully release the click once apps after using them? Thus if the automation uninstalls the click once app, and then attempts to re-install the app, the 2nd install fails becuase there are files still in use from the first use.

Has anyone else ever encountered uninstall/reinstall issues on cick once apps within a given test run? How were you able to work around any issues you may have found?

If i stop the run, shut down ranorex, and start a new run, things seems to be ok, but that leaves me in a spot I had hoped not to be in.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ClickOnce - uninstall issue not sure how to deal with

Post by Support Team » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi dhale,

It could be that the process of your application is still running in the background even though it was closed. If this is the case you can try to kill the process using the .NET Framework.
An example how to do that can be found in the stackoverflow forum.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1160 ... b-net-or-c

If this is not possible please provide more information about your issue. It would be helpful if you could make some screenshots or a video in order to show me your issue.

Regards,
Bernhard

caleb

Post by caleb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:26 pm

I believe we faced a similar problem. Having tested an application I wanted to uninstall it before the next test run but ranorex had loaded the file into memory and would not release it without being shut down. We did not solve this problem unfortunately.

The related forum post is http://www.ranorex.com/forum/test-execu ... t5271.html

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:07 pm

I would suggest looking into a continuous integration solution like Jenkins.

You could have Jenkins run your Ranorex test. When it is done, the test ends without uninstalling.

Then Jenkins could shutdown/uninstall the software in it's next step in the job.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

dhale

Post by dhale » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the information, while it isn't the answer I was hoping for, at least I know it isn't just me.

It appears that I will need to explore alternative methods for the task at hand. I suspect I will likely end up modifying my test suite so the suite itself isn't responsible for iterating - instead I'll likely implement the iterations via some external process