Code Review Tool / Plugin

Ask general questions here.
AdamH

Code Review Tool / Plugin

Post by AdamH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working a project with test automation engineers split across multiple continents and timezones. We are all using Ranorex with the actual solution code stored on a central TFS server which we can all access.

At the moment we are handling code reviews outside of the Ranorex tool which is getting complicated / messy to handle. I've seen tools which can integrate with Visual Studio (there is a plug-in for Visual Studio or commercial software as well, for instance http://smartbear.com/products/software- ... de-review/).

Is there a tool or plug-in which works with the Ranorex tool for code reviews?

Many thanks...

PS: I would like this tool to work with our integrated source control (TFS). Also, unlike the tools I've found so far, I would like it to enable us to comment directly on recorded modules instead of the underlying C# code.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Code Review Tool / Plugin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately there is no Code review plugin in Ranorex at the moment.
I am not exactly sure, but you can add a comment to the recorded module using the description text box within the File View (Test Suite view).

Regards,
Bernhard

AdamH

Post by AdamH » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:59 am

Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for getting back to me on this one. Shame there isn't a tool / plugin yet to support review of Ranorex test automation code. My current test automation project is very much a distributed test automation effort (or blended delivery effort as my company calls it) spread across multiple continents and time zones. This does present the odd challenge when reviewing output from other team members.

I've seen various code review tools online that work with C# and integrate with TFS. But the bit they miss is the ability to review Ranorex recorded modules in their regular format, not the underlying C# code file.

Bet I'm not the only user who's hit this challenge, perhaps this could be added to the development wish list?
Hopefully someone else has found a way to overcome this one...

Kind regards
Adam

PS: I've attached one of your screenshots showing a Ranorex recorded module in its regular format in case anyone doesn't get what I mean with that term (Recording1.rxrec) ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 pm

You really only need to review the C# code anyway. The rxrec files are just XML that is generated by Ranorex. So, unless your developers are manually editing the rxrec files (which they should NOT be doing), you don't need to review them. The C# (.cs and .UserCode.cs) files contain the same logical information in code form. They are what the compiler actually uses to create the test executable code.
Shortcuts usually aren't...