Commandline and triggering of remote testg w agent possible?

Ask general questions here.
_KK_

Commandline and triggering of remote testg w agent possible?

Post by _KK_ » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:24 pm

Hello Forum,

is commandline and triggering of remote testing with RemoteAgent possible?

The Studio has the Feature, that you can execute tests via RemoteAgent on a Server somewhere. But the Studio must be "open".
Rx 8.0.0 has the really nice feature, that the runtime is sent along with the TestSuite to be executed on the remote server.

I spent some time to check whether the commandline of Ranorex has the capability like the opened Studio to run the suite accross the RemoteAgent.
I found only the Topic "Endpoints", but those are not relevant for my needs.

The desired goal is:
TFS has a build-job with the following steps:
- to pull out the sources for Ranorex project
- MSBuild.exe is used to compile the Rx Project using the .sln

- the commandline will have the Option to Trigger the RemoteAgent by IP-Address for testing
- after finishing the test, the Report will be sent back

Is this science fiction?

I read only that you have to deploy the output of the compilefolder to the remote machine and there start the .exe
But the Studio can do this without xcopy deployment manually!?

Thanks for any hints.

BR

Klaus

McTurtle

Re: Commandline and triggering of remote testg w agent possible?

Post by McTurtle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello _KK_,

No science fiction :)
However, this not possible via Ranorex Agent.

There just seems to be a misunderstanding as to what the Agent is for. If you are already using a Continuous Integration system and a Version Control system then there is really no need for a Ranorex Agent except to test your code while you are developing your test. All the steps that you would like to do can be automated with your CI/VC combo.

I am more a Jenkins guy so I cannot really speak for TFS, but I believe that it will be very similar.
You can use an after-build step in Jenkins in order to deploy the "Runtime", to start the test on another machine and then send the report via email. You can probably also do all of this on an TFS Agent.

The Agent does not have command line capability. But, I also fail to see the need for it since CI tools are just so much more powerful.

Regards,
McTurtle

_KK_

Post by _KK_ » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 am

Hi McTurtle,

to use the Agent on a remote machine (the target), it was a "challenge" to make this running regarding the IT-policies of a company!
The TFS (Agent) is a different machine than the target machine in my case!

So every Action which shall take place on the target machine must match a "restricted" Environment and come through a small "hole" into that machine.
The Rx Agent uses for the "hole" the port 7266 for licensing and 8081 tcp/10000-10001 udp for executing.

For example when you are using within TFS a powershell script, you must consider PSRemoting details!
In this script as an example you execute a PS script on the target machine with PSRemoting stuff.

But with PSRemoting there are a couple of limitations:
E.g. the Network type is not allowed to be public!

So I see a good job for the Rx Agent to run on the target machine whenever the TFS job shall do this.
Maybe I have to fill my wish into the Rx wish-list.

BR

Klaus

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello _KK_,

The Ranorex "Wish list" has "Remote Test Execution via CommandLine" as the top requested feature now: Remote Test Execution via CommandLine
You can submit your vote and add a comment there :)

Regards,
McTurtle

_KK_

Post by _KK_ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:47 am

Helle McTurtle,

thx for the link.
I have voted.

BR