Compare data between current version and new versions

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
sfrychel

Compare data between current version and new versions

Post by sfrychel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:04 pm

I have a script that currently validates the values of certain fields in our app.

I want to be able to use this script whenever we get a new version upgrade on the application, however when that happens, the values in the fields may need to be different since time has passed.

Is there a way to have the tool update these values without me having to go in and change each one?
Or do I have to run the script and wherever it fails because a new value, update the script with the new value?

Or can I create a script where it will run and populate the field with current value and then use a parameter for the 'new' version and have it then validate against what was entered in the earlier part of the script

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Compare data between current version and new versions

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:31 am

Hi,

Without knowing your app and the data you are validating, it's impossible for us to suggest something reliable. In any case, with Ranorex, you can write almost anything you want ;) For example, my tests are also heavily data oriented and it would be a real pain to update the reference data manually every time something in background changed. So I wrote some methods, which capture ref. data and store them in CSV or Ranorex snapshot. And if needed, I simply start my test with a global parameter, which instruct my test to save data, instead of validating them.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration