Compatibility between Ranorex and Flutter Google

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
harakamohammed

Compatibility between Ranorex and Flutter Google

Post by harakamohammed » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Hello,
I am using ranorex to automate my mobile application devloped with Flutter Google, and I can not identify the objects :| ,
My question is: is FLutter technology supported by Ranorex 8.3 :?: :?:

thank you.
Regadrs ,
Mohammed

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Compatibility between Ranorex and Flutter Google

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hi,

I don't think there is any specific support for Futter. It seems they only recently published a first stable release? ;) Could you please post a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of your app made with Flutter? Are you sure the app made with Flutter is correctly instrumented with Ranorex? Without instrumenting, Ranorex is unable to access and control Android/iOS apps, no matter what frameworks they were built on.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

m.haraka

Post by m.haraka » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:52 pm

Hello odklizec,
Thank you a lot for your response.
Please find in the attachment the screenshot for EditSpy and also the snapshoot

Regards,
Mohammed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:48 am

Hi,

I don't see anything wrong with repository you posted? And the screenshot is unfortunately not very helpful. Please post a Ranorex snapshot instead. However, I think even with snapshot, there is not much anyone here can do or suggest. Ranorex support would most probably need a sample app to be able to figure something out?

Anyway, as mentioned, Flutter is too fresh and most probably not used by too many developers, which means it may not even be tested by Ranorex folks. I would suggest you to contact Ranorex support via their support form and eventually, create a user voice regarding Flutter support...
https://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/15 ... ve-ranorex
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dominik_F

Post by dominik_F » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:59 am

Hi,

I know, thats an old thread, but I just wanted to open the same one so instead I answered here.
It seems as if Ranorex cannot instrumentalize the app correctly.
Ranorex Spy can only identify a MainActivity containing a form and a flutter element. (like in this screenshot)
Find attached my Snapshot of my mobile running this flutter demo app i tried to instrumentalize (which has a menu button, some labels and a button which interacts with one of the labels (counts the clicks on the button)

As half a year passed, may I ask if flutter support may come in the future or eventually already planned?

Another question: Google started to make publishers convert their apps to "android app bundles" - are these, or will these be supported?
(some optimizations are made by google / playstore so the format would be slightly different, as one doesnt upload the finished apk anymore)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi dominik_F,

Flutter is not officially supported at this time. I recommend creating a new feature request on our User Voice platform as I can see this being a useful feature. It means more when the request comes from you directly than from me. Note, we can still automate it with image/pixel based actions, however, this would be quit ridged compared to normal automation methods (still better than nothing!).

Regarding the "android app bundles" question, I have not personally heard of this change, but if this becomes a requirement or there is a large shift to this, I am sure our developers will make the required changes to accommodate this. At this time, I have not seen any request to support app bundles. This would be another great item to add to our user voice page to start giving it some visibility as our product managers review this directly.

Cheers,
Ned

dominik_F

Post by dominik_F » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:27 am

Hi Ned,

thanks for the reply.
I will make use of the User Voice platform feature soon.

How does the image based automation work in this case ? As with the flutter test app ranorex only showed me a main activity, a container and a flutter activity (that looked empty and was only one color)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Image-based automation on mobile works the same as any other technology. For example, all "touch" actions occur on the main activity (since this is the deepest item we can get in your case), but we use the image-based features to tell Ranorex what to look for in the activity and where to touch.
1.png

I will warn that this is a ridged approach but is better than nothing. The repository will mainly consist of the one repository item (the main activity), and several reference images which are used by the actions on what to look for.
2.png

I recommend using some of the various post-processing filters and/or a lower similarity setting (0.95-0.99 is usually pretty reliable) as different devices and produce different colors and cause the element to not be found. Also know that if the element scales larger/smaller on different devices, you may run into other issues since the image Ranorex is using as a reference doesn't scale with it. For more information on the various image-based properties, click here.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Ned

hbn

Post by hbn » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:44 am

Hello,
I have vote the below User Voice.
https://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/15 ... d-ios-apps

Best Regards,