ControlId dynamic, how to identify buttons etc.

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
nalko

ControlId dynamic, how to identify buttons etc.

Post by nalko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 am

Hello,

I do have a question concerning the identification of elements. I would like to use ranorex for a test automation of a wizard. The problem is that with every build or new version of the wizard or a little change in the wizard every ID changes because they are given dynamic. Is there another way for identification. I read a lot of other posts about identification but I am sorry, I have not found an answer to my problem.

Regards,
Anke Brocker

Ciege

Re: ControlId dynamic, how to identify buttons etc.

Post by Ciege » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Use RanorexSpy to look at all of the possible attributes of your AUT. See if you can find one that is unique and static. You can also post a RanorexSpy snapshot here for us to give it a look.

Also, talk to, beg, plead, bring donuts... to your dev team. Ask them to properly name the elements in their code. Describe to them what it means to automation.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...