Crashes when tracking from Studio

Bug reports.
Mudhenn

Crashes when tracking from Studio

Post by Mudhenn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am

Hello
I use Ranorex 8.3.0+something (it sure makes totally sense to make this field in "about" not useable for copy&paste) on Windows 7 Enterprise SP 1 in 64bit.
I am testing a web-application based afaik on Angular 6 and when I use the track-function from Ranorex Studio, I experience crashes where Studio just stopps working and can only be restartet. The error is reproducable on a specific input-field. Anybody has a suggestion what can cause this problem? One thing I noticed is that Ranorex runs in 32bit, but I didn't found where to change that.
That field can though be tracked with the 64bit-Tracker without problems, but it crashes Studio every time.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Crashes when tracking from Studio

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

Hi,

There is currently no way to change the default 32bit Spy in Ranorex Studio to 64bit version. But there is already a user voice for this...
https://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/15 ... r-in-ranor

As for the crash, I'm afraid, there is not much anyone here can do or suggest without examining the problematic element.
Are you able to reproduce the problem on another PC with different system (e.g. win 10)?
Any chance you can post a small sample page, featuring problematic element?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Mudhenn

Post by Mudhenn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:36 am

Thank you for the fast response. I can track this item with the stand-alone-version of the Spy in 32 and 64 bit. I was wondering why Ranorex Studio itself runs @ 32bit. The error happens btw after klicking the item to be tracked, when I hover it the props are displayed.

I will ask the developers if they can set up such page somwhere you can access it, but I assume that because of this whole js-framework-mess developers use today this may be a problem.

The path of this item from spy: /dom[@domain='server.xxx.local:8183']/body/tag[@tagname='prm']/div/div[2]//form[@method='get']/tag/div[1]/tag/div/div/?/?/div/tag[3]/?/?/tag[@tagname='panel']/div/div/?/?/div/tag[1]/div/div/?/?/input[@name='productionLocation']

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:51 am

Mudhenn wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:36 am
I was wondering why Ranorex Studio itself runs @ 32bit.
It's most probably from historical reasons and the fact, that Ranorex Studio is based of SharpDevelop 4.x, which is primarily 32bit. It does not even support 64bit debugging (another SharpDevelop-related limitation). So I guess we will have to live with this kind of limitation for a while. But on the other hand, I personally never experienced any problem related to 32bit nature of Ranorex Studio? So it's most probably not problem at all? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Mudhenn

Post by Mudhenn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 am

After fiddling a bit with the spy, I found out, that this error must be repository-dependen. As soon as I open the rxrep-file in the spy and track the item, the spy (64bit) also crashes. If I track this item in the spy without any file open, it works fine.

Mudhenn

Post by Mudhenn » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

After Ranorex keeps on crashing, I tried different things. When I make a new repository in Spy, I can add these "problematic" elements without problems. When I try to copy & paste these elements in my existing repository, Ranorex Studio complains, that the element have a different base-path than the repository. Thought this is true because I combined multiple base-paths to one shortened version, after I agree it is able to track and use the elements. Maybe this gives someone a hint where the problem can be?