Creating Test Cases On Remote Machines.

Ask general questions here.
Wayne_Fletcher

Creating Test Cases On Remote Machines.

Post by Wayne_Fletcher » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:58 am

Hello

In order to save desk space we have the need to connect to machines and build test cases on machines that may be in a different location. Our main tool for connecting the remote machine is Dameware, which has proved extremely reliable over the years and is used extensively with in our IT Departments around the world.

Yet when using it to connect to remote machines to create test cases (Ranorex latest version running on remote machine) I have noticed on a number of occasions that the recording fails to record which is a pain and to resolve it I have to reboot the remote machine. I also remember that I saw this during training as well.

So Is there a preferred application for connecting to remote machines that works every time or is the best option to work directly on physical hardware only?

Appreciate your thoughts and experience on the matter

Stub

Re: Creating Test Cases On Remote Machines.

Post by Stub » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm

It sounds as though rebooting resolves your issue, so it's probably not the same as mine. But FWIW I've noticed that when I make recordings on the physical machine hosting Ranorex Studio the first time through the recording records absolutely nothing. Every time. Repeat the recording and it works fine the 2nd time. So I've got into a routine of recording a couple of clicks just to get through that first phase, then try again for the actual recording.

This is Ranorex v6.1.1 on a Win10x64 box. I've been aware of this for a while but I upgraded to v6.1.1 today and have noticed it continues with a few recordings I've made today.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Creating Test Cases On Remote Machines.

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Hello,

First of all, I would recommend that all antivirus scanners etc. are deactivated while recording/replaying automated tests.

Secondly, please ensure that the current user does have sufficient privileges/security rights.

Finally, we made good experiences with VNC as a remoting tool. Find further tips and tricks regarding remotely working with Ranorex here: http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... norex.html

Sincerely,
Robert