Current variable values in report

Ask general questions here.
bennylew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Current variable values in report

Post by bennylew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 am

Hi,

in my testcases I have to use a password within a variable. My reports are logging on Reportlevek Info and display this password. For our company this is a security risk and I'm searching for possibilities not to display the value of this variable in the report.

One way would be to use another Reportlevel. But would it be possible to prevent displaying the value of one specific variable?

krstcs

Re: Current variable values in report

Post by krstcs » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:44 pm

The problem isn't that Ranorex prints out the password, it is that you are using a real user's password for testing.

You should not use a real person's password when running tests. You should have a "test" user that is used for testing. This user should only have rights to the test environment. This should be the case whether you are using automation or not.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

bennylew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by bennylew » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:36 pm

We are using Testaccount, but even this password should not be documented in plaintext in the report ;)
We are a public administration, so we have to care about data privacy...

RobinHood42

Post by RobinHood42 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi bennylew,

We also faced a similar issue. Therefore, we decided to create a small executable which encrypts a specified set of data. Please find our solution as well as an instruction attached.

Hope that it fits your requirements.

Cheers,
Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bennylew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by bennylew » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for your replies, I solved it like this:

Creating a static class with static method that returns your password. In your modules get the password from the static class. So it's not on the report :)

M8in

Post by M8in » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:20 am

Hello,

i'm new to ranorex and i'm facing the opposite Problem: i would like to see, wich data is delivered from the datasource. I know, that it s easy to display the values using a separate Report.Log-Statement, but is there a way to show the values automaticly in the report:
03.12.png
Best regards from Bonn/Germany,
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm not sure I understand your problem correctly. Typically, all binded variables are automatically displayed in report. The reason why the variable values are "dotted" in your report is that they are masked in the data source definition dialog. Please follow this post and "uncheck" all masked variables...
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/how-do-i-m ... ask#p34325
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

M8in

Post by M8in » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Pavel,

thanks for your reply - and for the solution! It was my fault - i've missunderstood the word "mask". I thought that "mask" would be something like a filemask "*.*" or a mapping of a variable to a database column or something like that...

But now it's clear ;)

Best regards,
Martin