Data-binding recording to variables in excel connector

Ask general questions here.
manalitatke

Data-binding recording to variables in excel connector

Post by manalitatke » Tue May 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Hello,

I am trying to implement data-binding of a key-sequence in my recording to an excel connector column. This key sequence is the install location of an .exe file.

After implementing the test suite, the ranorex successfully reports data binding to be successful, however, i am unable to launch the .exe application as specified in the excel location column.

I followed the below steps:

Please correct me where i went wrong:

Also, i updated to the latest version of ranorex 7.0.1 and happened to lose my repository path, as i am unable to track them in ranorex spy. How can i recover them for tracking the UI elements in my project?

error as shown in ranorex spy error.png

I will attach a screenshot of everything: as i cannot track and create ranorex snapshots.

a. My project flow is as follows: Ranorex test suite --> independent test case -->sub-test case -->independent recording--> key-sequence containing the install location path of an .exe bound to a data variable.

b. I created a new variable for the key -sequence inside the recording.

c. Using the ' Data Source' in my test case, i specified the data source as the excel sheet containing the install location in the columns ( data-source.png)

d. Using the 'Data binding ' in my test case, i specified the variable and bound it to the data source.( data-binding.png)

e. After successfully implementing the test case, ranorex report shows me that data binding is successful, however, i am unable to launch the application.

I also specified the global parameters in the main test suite.

However, in the data binding section of the test case, either the global parameter bound variables can be checked/ or the module variables can be checked( data-binding.png).

I also tried specifying '@' symbol' however, it is unable to load the location path from excel sheet using data-binding to launch the application.

Also, can somebody please let me know how to rectify my repository tracking and ranorex spy?

Please let me know how to work on this, and correct me where i am wrong.

Thanks!
Attachments
ranorex spy error.PNG
ranorex spy error.PNG (24.42 KiB) Viewed 739 times
data-source.png
data-source.png (10.19 KiB) Viewed 739 times
data-binding.png
data-binding.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 739 times

McTurtle

Re: Data-binding recording to variables in excel connector

Post by McTurtle » Wed May 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Hello manalitatke,

Regarding the path to the .exe file:

Please try to change the path from "C:\Users\TatkeM\Desktop\application.exe" to "C:\\Users\\TatkeM\\Desktop\\application.exe". If you create a RunApplication action in the action table and then inspect the code you will see that Ranorex also changes all paths in such a way that they always contain double \.

Data binding to Global Parameter or Data Source:

This is normal, you can bind one variable only to one source within the same test case. You can bind it to something else in another test case.

Lost RanoreXPaths:

In order to check this I would need a snapshot of your application. Detailed information on how to create a Ranorex Snapshot can be found at the following link: https://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gu ... pshot.html

Please create the snapshot and attach it to your next forum post.

Reagrds,
McTurtle

manalitatke

Post by manalitatke » Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

1. I cannot create a Ranorex Snapshot, because the moment i open up the spy, it is unable to track my ranorex window and the gui elements of my current project.

If i try to open the repository, by using the 'edit' path of individual elements, it shows me the red cross on elements, and the option for editing the ranorex path is disabled.

I have attached a screenshot of that element as i cannot create a ranorex snapshot.

Can you please help me with this?

2. Also, i tried putting the \\ for the location path of my application.exe. However, still i have the same issue.

Ranorex reports successful data binding and execution of the test case in the report section , and the command window.

However, the application is not launched.
I did the part of data source and data binding to the excel connector.
Can someone please guide me as to what is missing?

Thanks!
Attachments
error in repository tracking.PNG
error in repository
error in repository tracking.PNG (11.04 KiB) Viewed 718 times
edit path of element.PNG
edit path of element
edit path of element.PNG (5.22 KiB) Viewed 718 times

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello manalitatke,

1. What technology are you using to build your application?
You are not supposed to track the Ranorex Windows, only you application under test. If you open the standalone Ranorex Spy you also can not track the application?

2. What happens if you use the "Run Application" action and navigate to the executable via the Explorer?
Ranorex Studio.png
Ranorex Studio.png (9.61 KiB) Viewed 698 times
The red crosses in your "edit" view of the element simply mean that the elements in the RanoreXPath currently can not be found. This is expected, if the application is not open.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
McTurtle

manalitatke

Post by manalitatke » Thu May 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Hello McTurtle,

Thanks for the response.

1. I am tracking the application under test using ranorex spy, by opening the application and then opening the ranorex spy, and choosing the application to be tracked.

Also, i tried to view the spy, from inside the ranorex window for my current solution and test suite which was implemented for the required application.
however, i am not able to track the UI elements. I also specifically navigated to the repository window and tried to edit the path( ranorex path) using spy. However, yet it shows me the red cross and is unable to track the UI elements.

2. If i use the run application option, my application launches successfully.
However, i wanted it to be parameterized so that even if the location changes, i can launch the application successfully via data-binding using location specified in the excel.

I am not able to launch the application using data-binding, even when the ranorex reports the data-binding to be successful.

Thanks for the clarification.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
ManaliTatke

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello ManaliTatke,

In order to provide a quicker solution for your current issues, I would suggest contacting [email protected] directly.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Johannes