data grid - ranorex spy unable to click individual items

Ask general questions here.
neeshpal

data grid - ranorex spy unable to click individual items

Post by neeshpal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello
My app is desktop app where UI is built in C++. I have a window and inside that window there is a grid and there's data in that grid. Ranorex can find window. But spy is unable to click on each grid item. When I try it , it just gives me back the main window and not individual items.

I see in the tree structure on left hand side on spy that there is a List item under this main window but there is only one level of hierarchy in which there are three more items (2 ListItem and one ScrollBar) and thats it.

Question: Give this scenario , is it possible to get to the grid programmatically even if spy couldn't click on individual grid items? If yes how can we achieve this? If no, are there any options to try?

Thank You

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: data grid - ranorex spy unable to click individual items

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi,

Without seeing your app or, at very least, Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot), it’s impossible to tell anything definitive. But from my experience with such unrecognisable elements, your best hope is most probably GDI capture feature (check this user guide chapter). In other words, there is most probably no other way to obtain data from such element, unless someone implements proper accessibility to tested data grid.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration