Dealing with Obfuscation

Class library usage, coding and language questions.
jeman

Dealing with Obfuscation

Post by jeman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 pm

I'm currently automating tests for a Windows Forms project. Every build is obfuscated. The objects are fine, but some of the exposed methods are hard to nail down. Sometimes the method for my dropdown is named "e()", other times it's named "c()", it's just the way the obfuscation software works. Is there any way to reliably call these in Ranorex, either by identifying them by signature or by the obfuscation key output?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dealing with Obfuscation

Post by Support Team » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Hi jeman,

I'm afraid to tell you that there won't be a reliable way to call those methods.

Basically, the automation of an obfuscated application should work, but it can also lead to any unexpected behavior. For example, existing paths could change or Ranorex could not be able to load assemblies containing the definition of controls. Therefore, UI element identification for such controls could be limited. I regret to say that I cannot guarantee that the automation will work as expected because it also depends on the settings and the tool which was used to obfuscate the application.

I would recommend using a non-obfuscated (internal) build for testing and an obfuscated one for your release version.

Sincerely,
Johannes