Debugging mouse and keyboard hangs

Bug reports.
Andrew_H

Debugging mouse and keyboard hangs

Post by Andrew_H » Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm

I've been evaluating Ranorex 3.0.2 on a Windows XP computer for a few days now, and have run into a number of issues with the debugger in Ranorex Studio. I have a recorded module with a single user-defined action which gets the number of children of a List and compares that to an expected value. I've placed a breakpoint at the line that queries the number of children of type ListItem.

When I run the debugger, it freezes for about 10 seconds before the test case starts, but just after the "This is an evaluation copy of Ranorex" dialog appears. It freezes for another 10 seconds whenever my breakpoint is hit. Then I hover over the variable that I care about, and my mouse jumps back to the position it was in when it performed the previous action in the test case (clicking a button in my case), and freezes for an additional 10 seconds. The same behavior occurs if I attempt to expand the variable in the Watch window. If I attempt to step over the line of code, it freezes AGAIN for 10 seconds.

I saw a thread from about 2 years ago that mentioned disabling the abort key, which I did in the Program.cs file (the only file that contained anything about an abort key in my project). While this fixed the 10 second pause after stepping over a line of code and initially fixed the mouse jumping issue, it doesn't prevent the initial 10 second freeze, and the mouse jumping returns after I step over a line of code.

In summary, I have the following issues when debugging:
1. 10 second hang when starting a test case.
2. 10 second hang when hitting a breakpoint.
3. 10 second hang and mouse jumping back to a previous position when inspecting a variable.
4. 10 second hang when stepping over lines of code.

And the only issue that is fixed by commenting out the AbortKey line is issue (4). Are there any other possible workarounds, or is this an inherent limitation in the system? It makes debugging testcases nearly impossible as you only get one shot to test a single variable, and have to pay a 40 second penalty each time you restart the testcase to test another breakpoint.

Thanks, and I look forward to your response.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Debugging mouse and keyboard hangs

Post by Support Team » Fri May 27, 2011 10:43 am

Hi,

We know that the AbortKey causes a hanging issue in some case, but not that long time range you posted.
One additional question:
  • Is VS2010 installed on this machine?
Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Studio

Andrew_H

Post by Andrew_H » Fri May 27, 2011 4:01 pm

VS2010 is not installed on this machine. However, VS2005 and VS2008 are. A colleague (who also only has VS2005 and VS2008 installed, not VS2010) deleted the "LowLevelEventTimeout" key from his registry based on the recommendation of a support team member, but it didn't resolve the issue either.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 am

Hi,

Please try to comment out the AbortKey in the program.cs and try to debug again.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Andrew_H

Post by Andrew_H » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm

We did that originally, but it didn't help much. It got rid of only one of the 4 issues, and partially alleviated a second. However, the 10 second delays when stepping over code and the mouse jumping and freezing when attempting to "watch" a variable are still present no matter what.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:57 am

Hi,

please try to uncheck the „Show Progress Dialog” in the TestSuite properties window, that should speed up the debugger.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team