Design for continues testing & working in teams

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
chfischer

Design for continues testing & working in teams

Post by chfischer » Thu May 26, 2011 5:47 pm

hi

I am in the process of setting up Ranorex testing for a very big Flex App
using Jenkins to compile, deploy and run the end-to-end tests and subversion to manage the code.

For performance and development reasons, we will have separate jenkins jobs which start separate executable Ranorex compilations.

I plan having separate solutions which share two projects (libs, repo) which are part of a "master" solution. The libs Project will contain code modules to interact with the GUI, repo will contain a central items-repository only.

I see several challenges:

How to use a shared repository in a team setup where two to five people work on the same repo..
Does anybody do that already? If so, how to avoid conflicts and manage/structure the repo for the future? I'd like to have every gui element only once for better maintainability ;)

Inputs are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Christian

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Design for continues testing & working in teams

Post by Support Team » Thu May 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Hello Christian,

some customers do have one one repository over more projects. If the local copies of this same repository changes then they merge it using a SCM like subversion. If you put every element of your application under test into the repository at the beginning then there is a chance that the repository does not change when you make a new recording linked to it.

The idea behind the default layout of a project in Ranorex Studio, though, is to have one repository per project. These projects should automate different parts of the application under test such that there is not too much overlapping in the repositories. Although maybe that is not always possible.

Regards,
Roland
Ranorex Support Team