Difficulties in getting Ranorex Snapshot from Results Container

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
daniel.hinterndorfer

Difficulties in getting Ranorex Snapshot from Results Container

Post by daniel.hinterndorfer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 am

Dear Ranorex Community!

I just started with the free trial - hence my knowledge and skill regarding Ranorex is limited to nonexistent. Nonetheless, I could not find an adequate answer or solution in the Forum, hence this Post.

Firstly: i know i should post a Ranorex Snapshot - but that is part of my problem, as i cannot resolve the element in question.
It seems as if I would be stuck in an endless loop - stacking just about 4850 Parents before crashing. All attached Screen-shots of Ranorex Spy shall indicate this.

For a bit of context:
I am trying to evaluate how well Ranorex is suited to handle the rather strange conglomerate of ancient tech, that Dassault Systems calls CatiaV5-6R2016. The rich client is CatiaV5 in Release 2016 (R26). The PDM integration to the 3DExperience Database (also Dassault Systèmes supplied, formally known Enovia) is established via a "magical black-box" called IEF-Client-Workspace-Service for which no correct Documentation and also no source code is available for us.
For the user, the service is merely a background process, only ever interacted with when initially establishing connection.

Now I come to my use-case:
Any user must fetch an already existing design template from the database in order of starting his Design process.
We want to establish a regression test mimicking this behavior.
To do so, we need to get a specific item (a row) selected in a MSAA based Table inside the CatiaV5-6R2016 application, which is supplied by the IEF_Client-Workspace-Service. The Table contains any number of results from 0 to n, depending on user search input.
When using "Track" on the table, it only ever returns a strange result set with no definite internal items - just infinitely stacked identical result sets.

This is rather strange - but understandable, as the service is ancient, not build with anything but bare-bone function in mind and fully within the hands of Dassault.

Is there anything that can be done to get stuff selected from the Table other than "having the power of foresight" and comparing pictures?

Thank you so much for your time and effort!
kind regards
Daniel
Attachments
2019-10-08 11_16_04-CATIA V5.jpg
The Table which we want to access
2019-10-08 11_16_04-CATIA V5.jpg (186.57 KiB) Viewed 86 times
2019-10-08 10_58_50-Ranorex Studio - (32bit).png
Death by 'parents overflow'
2019-10-08 10_58_50-Ranorex Studio - (32bit).png (86.88 KiB) Viewed 86 times
2019-10-08 10_58_40-Ranorex Spy - (32bit) - Live.png
many thousands of identical 'parents' seem to be found
2019-10-08 10_58_40-Ranorex Spy - (32bit) - Live.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Vega

Re: Difficulties in getting Ranorex Snapshot from Results Container

Post by Vega » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 am

give GDI a try as it is a pretty good alternative especially for legacy apps:

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... e-feature/

Also i always recommend using whitelisting:

https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... telisting/

As for the snapshot issue, its hard to say. I would try adjusting some of the MSAA or winforms plugin settings in Spy and see if anything helps

hope this helps

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Difficulties in getting Ranorex Snapshot from Results Container

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:36 am

Hi,

My sympathy is with you. I've tried to automate Catia v5 myself in the past (about 5-7 years ago) and it was a pure hell. Vega is unfortunately right. As far as I remember, GDI access was the only approach how to access some Catia forms and controls. Additionally, to access elements in 3D view, it was required to implement a custom layer over 3D view, using subclassing and some other programming voodoo, which I no longer remember. Check my old Catia-related posts here:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic ... 037#p37037
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic ... 700#p39700
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration