Do Ranorex test this forum with Ranorex?

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Do Ranorex test this forum with Ranorex?

Post by Fergal » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 am

Do Ranorex test this phpBB forum using the Ranorex tool?

If so, is it possible to share some information on the types of tests run? Would it be possible to view the test suite used?

Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Do Ranorex test this forum with Ranorex?

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:31 am

Hi,

I seriously doubt Ranorex folks actually test this forum. What would they do that for? This forum is based of phpBB, which is tested and developed by phpBB folks. It would be pointless to test it with (and by) Ranorex. What exactly you are looking for? Why would you want to 'test' phpBB forum with Ranorex? I think it only makes sense to test a forum with Ranorex if you actually developing such forum ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Fergal » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks odklizec!
odklizec wrote:...Why would you want to 'test' phpBB forum with Ranorex?...
  1. This forum (like the vast majority of forums) is customized at least to some extent, it is not a standard out of the box installation. That leaves room for errors which were not in the original phpBB forum software. E.g. I once had a developer make small changes to a forum and an indirect result was that the forum would not allow new members to register. We only became aware of it, when people who tried to register contacted us about the issue.
  2. Unfortunately software developers sometimes miss errors in their released products. Users of that software might want to check for errors in that software, before rolling it out for use by their clients. (This is no reflection on phpBB, who I personally think are great and strongly recommend for forum software.)
  3. The back end admin of a phpBB forum can be a little complex, e.g. an Admin could make a mistake in member permissions and give members permissions they shouldn't have (e.g. to delete other members' posts) or block members from permissions they should have (e.g. to start a new topic in a certain section).
I've been considering setting up some automated tests for a phpBB forum and wondered if this was something Ranorex had done already.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Fergal,

I'm afraid that there are no tests. We do not test our phpBB instance with Ranorex.

Sincerely,
Robert

Fergal
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Fergal » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks Robert!