Does Ranorex setup require local admin rights?

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
gilbar16

Does Ranorex setup require local admin rights?

Post by gilbar16 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Hello,

Sorry, if this topic had already been asked before. I did a quick search on 'local admin' and did not find the answers I am looking for.

Our Security Team is pretty tough when it comes to installing software. If software installation requires local admin rights, we are told not to do the install and they will.

Does Ranorex setup require that the installer has to have local admin rights to the machine where Ranorex is to be installed?

Once Ranorex is installed, does the user/tester need local admin rights to run/use Ranorex?

We are planning to evaluate Ranorex as soon as possible but ran into this security issues before we can even install the trial version of Ranorex.

Thanks for your input.

Gilbert

testautomator

Re: Does Ranorex setup require local admin rights?

Post by testautomator » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:09 am

I also see that it is showing a message when ever I am spying or running code on my Visual Studio 2012. Here is the message in my report:
"The control seems to be a Windows Forms control, but was not recognized as such, possibly due to a security limitation. UI element identification capabilities for this control may be limited.
If this control is a WinForms control, please make sure that the automating process has the rights to access the automated application. Otherwise, please ignore this limitation.
The following website provides more information on this technology limitation:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c3250
(This message is only shown once per report.) "

But when I put Visual Studio or Spy in ADmin mode. No warning message is displayed. This is happening after upgrade to Ranorex 5.3

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Ranorex requires administrator rights. You should also turn off User Access Control.

You are developing software when using Ranorex, so, as with any other development effort, you need to run it as an administrator in order to make sure it all works correctly.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

gilbar16

Post by gilbar16 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.
We received confirmation late yesterday afternoon from our Ranorex Account Manager and we were told that Ranorex installation does not require local admin rights.
We then completed the installation, tried out the sample app and so far so good. :)

Thanks again.
Gilbert

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:39 pm

testautomator wrote:But when I put Visual Studio or Spy in ADmin mode. No warning message is displayed. This is happening after upgrade to Ranorex 5.3
See this forum thread for an explanation of that warning message.

In general, Ranorex does not require administrator rights. Administrator rights are only required for automating applications which themselves run with administrator rights. Additionally, administrator rights may be required for installing Ranorex and automating system dialogs/applications (depending on the local security settings).
krstcs wrote:You should also turn off User Access Control.
Turning off UAC can definitely make things easier if you try to automate system dialogs. It is not required, though. Especially, if you want to automate Windows 8 Modern UI apps, turning off UAC is not even an option, otherwise the Modern UI apps would not run...

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

testautomator

Post by testautomator » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 am

That thread explains it all. We wait for the fix. Thanks