Does Ranorex support GIS based application

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
Santhoshv

Does Ranorex support GIS based application

Post by Santhoshv » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi Team,
We are working on a POC to identify best possible solution to automate GIS rendered application (ArcGIS - Maps rendered on web application).
Can you please let me know if Ranorex supports these application for automation.
Below provided the ArcGIS overview:
https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/produ ... e/overview

Regards, Santhosh

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Does Ranorex support GIS based application

Post by odklizec » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:20 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, there is no special support for ArcGIS app. Ranorex should work just fine, with normal UI controls, like buttons, lists, tables, etec. But in case of maps, which are more or less static images, Ranorex (any TA tool) will most probably not be able to identify and interact with inner map elements, if you are hoping for this?

The only thing you can do is to use Ranorex image-based operations. But I'm afraid, that image-based TA is way too fragile and not recommended for large-scale images. Plus you should always develop the test on the same machine, as you wish to use for testing (i.e. not developing it on local system and then running it on remote system). Slight differences between computer settings (like screen resolution, color depth and so on) will definitely affect the test reliability.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Santhoshv

Re: Does Ranorex support GIS based application

Post by Santhoshv » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:46 am

Thank you Odklizec. This update really helps. Let me validate with other tools to generate a feasibility report of automation for ArcGIS based applications. Really appreciate for your quick response.