Does Ranorex supports application designed on CPP

Ask general questions here.
premravi

Does Ranorex supports application designed on CPP

Post by premravi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi,

Please let me know whether Ranorex supports an application of which the UI is designed on CPP language

Because I saw the elements in the Ranorex spy, hardly any attributes are there to uniquely locate the elements and perform actions on it

So if Ranorex supports CPP I can request some plugin or some resolution to the Ranorex team to help me to overcome this blocker

I have the licensed Ranorex product

Please let me know if more info is required

Regards
Ravindra

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Does Ranorex supports application designed on CPP

Post by odklizec » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi,

Basically, Ranorex should work just fine with CPP apps. But as you probably already found, if there are no usable attributes defined in the app, it may be very hard to automate such app.

Is there any chance you could post a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of the problematic app? Snapshot is worth a thousand words ;)

Finally, if there are no usable attributes found with Ranorex Spy, your last hope is most probably GDI Capture approach, which may help with extracting some usable text from app GUI.
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... e-feature/
But even with RAWTexts extracted by GDI Capture, you may find the automation of such app difficult, because the RAWTexts are often not bound to exact elements and you may end up with huge list of RawText elements :)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

premravi

Post by premravi » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:06 am

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info,
Sure will share the snapshot,
Ofcourse we have GDI Capture, RawText, Co-ordinates, ImageBased options, but that is not a reliable approach towards a robust automation framework
I was thinking if Ranorex team can help me with some resolution like some third party plugin specifically for CPP or if they can have a look at the application (snapshot).
We can together come up to some better resolution

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:25 am

Hi,

I think that if there would be an universal solution for old apps and apps not featuring accessibility, Ranorex folks would (maybe) already implement it? ;) I think the only (complicated) workaround for these apps is implementing custom accessibility layer. But it may be difficult and not always worth the effort. Check for example this post, with some related links:
ranorex-for-autocad-application-t9186.html#p37037
I think the easiest and most reliable way is implementing accessibility directly in AUT.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration