drop-down and button identify on web page (telerik)

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
ecohen

drop-down and button identify on web page (telerik)

Post by ecohen » Sun May 12, 2013 10:03 am

im running win7 x64 SP1.
ranorex ver: 4.0.0.20817
I recorded a scenario on web-based application (java script).
I'm using Telerik object in my site.
IE 9

when I play the record i'm getting a report with the following error:
Failed to move to location '32;9' within element '{ATag:NextStep}'.
The pointer cannot be moved to point '{X=1369,Y=907}' since it is outside of the visible desktop.
it seems like a problem to identify an item inside a drop-down menu. the ranorex also cannot locate the "next" button on another scenarios. in tried to locate the item using ranorex spy, i added the located item to the repository and it still happens....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: drop-down and button identify on web page (telerik)

Post by Support Team » Mon May 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi,

Is the zoom level of the browser set to 100%?
Could you, for test purposes, add a Validate.Exists(ATag:NextStep) right before the click action?
Does this change anything respectively could the button be found (is it visible)?
How do you have tried to select an item inside your drop-down (click, setValue action, keyboard)?

Regards,
Markus

ecohen

Post by ecohen » Mon May 13, 2013 4:40 pm

hi

I tried what you offered.
i set the browser to 100% zoom (it was on 105%)
and I added the validate action to verify the drop-down menu. I'm selecting the item inside the menu by click on it.
The test was failed again and on the report isee that the validation step was successful. It still cannot find and click on the dropdown-menu and on the "next" button.

i want to be more specific becase i think that i can isolate the problem
1. im using main window which contains more information than my screed can display. that make the browser to display scroll bars (highth and width).
2. I'm starting the test by pressing on "new" button. a floating window is opened and then we have to choose the drop-down menu/next button.
3. the recorder plays the scenario and changes the main window's scroll status (to down-right). we makes it automaticlly after it clicks on the first "new" button.
4. after the scroll bars' status changes the recoreder cannot locate the menu or the button
5. if i do the same with the original scroll status (disable the action which click on "new" button) it works good.

my questions are:
1. why the recorder changes the scroll status when playing my scenario?
2. how can I solve it?
3. is there any way to record actions without X/Y location and rely only to the item's/repository identity?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 am

Hi,

Could you for test purposes set the "Use Ensure Visible" property of the repository items (of the new button and of the one which is used for the next action) to "False"?
Does it work if you do so?

You could change the "Coordinate recording mode" setting in the "Recorder Defaults" tab of the "Settings..." window to "None" or to "Proportional", but this just defines the location of the "click/action" relative to the elements size and not the location of the element on your screen.

Regards,
Markus

ecohen

Post by ecohen » Thu May 16, 2013 11:12 am

hi
I made the "Use Ensure Visible" property false and it solved the problem. can I leave it "false" and keep working or it might cause me any other testing problems?

what is the purpose of this property and how it can affect my tests?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Hello,

In general, it depends on your application under test.
This setting ensures that elements are brought to foreground.

I recommend you to leave it to 'false' for the moment in your case.
If there were any issues in recognizing a specific element, you could add another action 'EnsureVisible for this element in your recording before you try to click on it.
Steps: drag your element into recording, select 'Invoke Action' and select 'EnsureVisible'.

Regards,
Markus (T)