edit in the data source/binding dialog & Studio at same time

Bug reports.
keith

edit in the data source/binding dialog & Studio at same time

Post by keith » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:04 am

Perhaps this is more of a request rather than a bug but I couldn't find a forum for improvement requests. I would like to be able to change values directly in the data source/binding dialog AND be able to access my solution in Ranorex studio (i.e. Report).

I wasn't able to figure out a way to do this. When I go to the Test Suite to open the Data Source I cannot go back to open the Test Report and compare them if I want to fix/review some values according to the results.

I am aware that I can work around this limitation in a few ways. (1. open report in report viewer or 2. open data in external tool.) It just seems that it would be more convenient to be able to do all of this in the studio itself since that is what it is there for.

In my imagination it would just be another open tab instead of a completely separate dialog window.

1. Version of Ranorex = 4.1.5.17134
2. Version of Windows = Windows 7 Enterprise
Cheers,
keith

krstcs

Re: edit in the data source/binding dialog & Studio at same time

Post by krstcs » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Keith,

First, feature requests should be made directly to the Ranorex support team through email to [email protected].

Second, if you use a database, Excel, or CSV as your data source, you can open them in external tools while still working on the test suite and/or looking at the report in Ranorex Studio.

Finally, you should upgrade to Ranorex 5.2.1, which is the current release. Staying up-to-date with Ranorex releases will help ensure you have the latest bug fixes and features.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

keith

Re: edit in the data source/binding dialog & Studio at same time

Post by keith » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:22 pm

First, thanks for your response krstcs.

1. I most especially thank you for the information regarding where I should send my feature request. I would think it to be more fruitful to discuss in the forum first but oh well.

2. I did mention that I know there are workarounds which is, of course, what I am doing.
I am aware that I can work around this limitation in a few ways. (1. open report in report viewer or 2. open data in external tool.)
This has its own problems though because excel loves to change data around (dropping leading zeros, turning things into dates) so that is no real option. I spend way to much time trying to figure out why and how the data is getting changed. I ended up using a text editor and csv, everything else was too painful. Thus, my request. The editor in Ranorex is okay, is simple and works and you have to go there anyway to bind stuff. It just would be cool if you could use it while working on your solution.

3. This is not exactly an option for me. I am working in a highly controlled enterprise context and therefore have no control over which version of Ranorex I am using at any particular moment other than to request to get the new one from time to time (which then may take a few weeks to get processed.) I must wait for those services to allow the application to be scripted and deployed before I can see or use the features of the new release. That's just the way it has to be. I can, of course, request it but there really has to be a good reason to do so or for regularly scheduled intervals. (i.e. a good example for the current release is the new overload feature to the RepoItemInfo.Exists method with a timeout. Yippie!)
Cheers,
keith