Element browser and recording

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
ttnic

Element browser and recording

Post by ttnic » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:35 am

Hello,

I would need some advise on what could be the problem and how to resolve it, if object is found in element browser window but the same object is not found during the recording. If I click highlight in element browser it shows the right element (two actually), but if I start the playback from that step ("play from here") with the exact same opened windows object is not found and ranorex throws error:
"Failed to find item 'CoreActionsRepository.CloseAllWindows.DisableRanorex'.
No element found for path '/form[@title='Close All Windows']/?/?/?/cell[@text~'.*Ranorex.*']' within 20s"

Version: 5.4.5, evaluating
Windows 7

Regards,
Tomaž

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Element browser and recording

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:00 am

Hi Tomaž and welcome here,

Could you please post a Ranorex snapshot (not screenshot) of the problematic element? Does Ranorex find the element if you try this xpath in Ranorex Spy?

From this description:
If I click highlight in element browser it shows the right element (two actually)
it seems as if there is more than just element found by the suggested xpath? Make sure that the xpath in repository always points to just one unique element! If there are multiple elements found by xpath, Ranorex always uses the first one found during playback, which may not necessarily be the correct one expected by your test! The only exception when xpath in repo could point to multiple elements is when you expect to use the repo element in code for further processing.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ttnic

Re: Element browser and recording

Post by ttnic » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:08 am

Hello Pavel,

thank you for the welcome and for trying to help me.

I don't know how but I managed to make the program work as I wanted (I think it was the problem with permissions, since I run ranorex studio with privileged admin access, and exe file as "regular" admin user).