email submissions validation

Ask general questions here.
madnan

email submissions validation

Post by madnan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm

hi, i am currently creating test scripts for my program where emails are sent to user/administrator inbox on form submission. I need to know how to i validate those email submissions in my outlook/gmail inbox?

scenario:
validate and enter all the relevant details in a form, now click submit. I am taken to confirmation page, validate the confirmation page. I recieve an email in my outlook inbox (how do i validate that)

thank you

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: email submissions validation

Post by odklizec » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:15 am

Hi,

Depending of the email client you are using, you should open the client, refresh the inbox periodically (in a loop with timeout) and check for the appearance of email you are looking for (e.g. using subject string). At least this is something I would do in similar case ;) Another approach could be wait/check for the appearance of incoming email notification? But I think the first approach is much more reliable. However, the first approach will definitely require some coding, while the other one might not require even a single line of code. On a second thought, the first approach might not require coding as well? If the inbox is refreshed automatically, simple WaitForExists, with reasonable timeout, should do the job as well?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration