EO.WebBrowser for .NET

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
rqjerry
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:04 pm

EO.WebBrowser for .NET

Post by rqjerry » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi all,

We recently added a web-based element that opens within our non-web application. Initially, we were using the standard .NET web controls based on IE. At that time, I was able to identify objects normally, with no problems.

However, we recently changed to using Chrome web controls using the EO.WebBrowser for .NET. Since we made this change, I am completely unable to identify objects on the web page.

If I open the web page directly in Chrome, I can identify objects with no problem, but from within the app, I get nothing.

- I verified that the Chrome extension is installed and active.
- I tried using the GDI Capture Settings.
- When I spy the web page, it identifies the whole thing as "Element 'Chrome_WidgetWin_0".

Does anyone have any experience using this web control? I have been unable to find any useful information on the web.

Thanks!
--Jerry
Attachments
New WebControl.rxsnp
Snapshot
(135.2 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

User avatar
Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11709
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:30 pm
Location: Graz, Austria

Re: EO.WebBrowser for .NET

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:04 am

Hello Jerry,

In general, the Ranorex Chrome plug-in only works for the original Chrome browser.
This is the reason your web elements are recognized within Chrome, but not within the embedded browser of your desktop application.

The EO.WebBrowser DLL seems to be an independent library which uses the same core as Google Chrome.

If you want to add a feature request please write an email to [email protected].

Regards,
Johannes
.
Image

mrollins
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: EO.WebBrowser for .NET

Post by mrollins » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Jerry,

You'll have to have your developers enable the accessibility renderer for Chrome in their code. Have them add something similar to:

Code: Select all

EO.WebBrowser.Runtime.ExtraCommandLineArgs = "--force-renderer-accessibility";
It's not perfect but it's the best I've found. Unfortunately it doesn't work as well as the dom view provided by the IE control. To get proper automation properties on the web page you'll also have to add WIA-Aria properties to the web pages in order to be able to get things like accessiblenames and to have divs show up as containers. Otherwise almost everything looks like a basic Element with only the Enabled, Valid and Visible tags and child items.

As a bonus this may improve your support for screen readers for the blind. I wish you luck, we just made a similar change in one of our apps a couple weeks ago and I'm still trying to update all our web pages to catch up to where my automation used to be.
Michael Rollins