Error 'operation not suppoted' - Set Value on text element

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
mgpmul

Error 'operation not suppoted' - Set Value on text element

Post by mgpmul » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm

I am new to Ranorex and just made my first recording and cleaning it up, that is, remove superfluous mouse movements and use the 'Set Value' operation instead of keyboard sequences.
(I followed the instructions in by Ranorex's screencast "Cleaning Up Recordings")
However, when I run the test case, it fails at the point where the Set Value operation is executed.
The browser elements is a text-element, so I don't see why it shouldn't accept the set value, and, as far as I can see, I followed exactly the same steps as in the screencast.

Ranorex version: 7.2.1
Browser: Firefox, version 57.0.3 32-bit (this is the latest version)
Ranorex add-on for Firefox is enabled: version 1.0.39

ERROR MESSAGE:
Setting attribute 'Text' failed on element '{Text:Consumer key:}'.
The operation is not supported.
The method or operation is not implemented.

STACKTRACE:
at Ranorex.Core.Element.SetAttributeValue(String name, Object value) at Ranorex.Core.Element.SetAttributeValue(String name, String value) at ArrangeMe_Participant.Recording1.Ranorex.Core.Testing.ITestModule.Run() in C:\Users\Miriam.mulders\Documents\Ranorex\RanorexStudio Projects\ArrangeMe_Participant\ArrangeMe_Participant\Recording1.cs:line 95 at Ranorex.Core.Testing.TestModuleLeaf.RunInternal(DataContext parentDataContext, Int32 iteration, Int32 iterationCount, Boolean skipIteration)

How to fix this?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Error 'operation not suppoted' - Set Value on text element

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi,

Please upload a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of the problematic element. Without snapshot, it’s hard to tell what’s wrong.

Additionally, it’s not a very good idea to use SetValue action in browser-based apps. The problem with SetValue action is, that it may not trigger the on-key events eventually associated with the element in question and it’s not a user-like action anyway. In other words, SetValue should be used only if you are absolutely certain the element in question supports it and there are no on-key events associated with the element.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mgpmul

Post by mgpmul » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Thank you ODKLIZEC, Pavel, for you answer and the remark about the restrictions of using the SetValue operation.
At this point I am not interested in on-key events. The SetValue suits my purpose.
Here's the snapshot you asked for, and one of the xPaths that gives the error.

Snapshot --> see attachment
xPath -->

Code: Select all

/form[@title~'^IMS\ LTI\ Tool\ Consumer\ emu' and @processname='firefox']/container[@accessiblerole='Grouping']/container[@accessiblerole='PropertyPage']/?/?/container[@accessiblename~'^IMS\ LTI\ Tool\ Consumer\ emu']/element[7]/element[2]/element[2]/element[1]/?/?/text[@accessiblename='Consumer key: jisc.ac.uk']/text[@accessiblename='Consumer key:']
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:47 am

Hi,

After opening the snapshot you provided, there is displayed an error regarding missing Firefox plugin. Apparently, there is no FF plugin installed or enabled on your PC? This is also why you have the xpath starting with Form, instead of DOM element! Please fix the FF plugin installation and try to reproduce your problem again.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mgpmul

Post by mgpmul » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm

I have a problem with getting the extension for Firefox running. I posted this issue now as a new post, titled
('Extension for Firefox is installed + enabled but not working'). (might be not visible yet, waiting for admission)

I understood before that the extension was needed to get things faster and nicer, but not that it was a hard precondition to let Ranorex work at all.

Let's first fix the Firefox extension and then see whether it fixes the Error in the current post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi,

I’m pretty sure that Ranorex plugin is required in FF. Without plugin, Ranorex does not have access to DOM element and web elements under DOM. Yes, it can still record many elements inside web browser, but only as children of Form element. And I guess It’s also a cause of the problem with SetValue you are experiencing.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration