Error: The report file or directory could not be created

Ask general questions here.
AndyS

Error: The report file or directory could not be created

Post by AndyS » Tue May 12, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi,

I just recently installed the latest version of Ranorex 5.3.2 from version 5.2.1. Since installing the update I can no longer launch my automation test suite. The error is as follows:

The report file or directory could not be created. Could not find a part of the path 'H:\My Documents\RanorexReports'.

Please help!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Error: The report file or directory could not be created

Post by odklizec » Wed May 13, 2015 6:32 am

Hi,

Are you sure the "H" drive is accessible at a time of running your test? It looks like a problem with accessing network/shared drive? I would suggest to check the project settings and change the report path to something else (local drive). Just to see if it works with local drive.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed May 13, 2015 1:55 pm

You should always use a LOCAL drive for Ranorex Suites and tests. Do NOT use network drives as this can cause issues with the suite and test runs.

If you are using a share drive in order to allow others to view/edit/run the same tests, then you should instead use a real version control system such as SVN, TFS, or GitHub. Not only is this the correct way to do it, it will save you a whole host of headaches in the long-run.

Ranorex Automation is software development, so it should be treated as such. You aren't just making scripts, you are creating an application that tests other applications.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed May 13, 2015 5:14 pm

I do have the project stored on my local drive C:\TestingProjects\SmokeTesting\SmokeTest\SmokeTest

However after I updgraded this error occurred. I use Microsoft TFS as a version control system to check in my changes but I wonder if I setup the project incorrectly? In any case, where do I find the project settings in Ranorex. Checking the menu items I dont see any options related to the reporting path.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed May 13, 2015 5:29 pm

It appears the problem has resolved itself. I have not changed anything yet when I ran the scripts this morning the error is no longer occurring.

Thanks anyway for your responses everyone!