Error when opening .rxtst file when checking changes in to TFS

Bug reports.
andy.simpson

Error when opening .rxtst file when checking changes in to TFS

Post by andy.simpson » Fri May 03, 2019 9:52 am

Currently using Ranorex 9.0.1 with TS as source control

Keep getting a reoccurring issue when when checking into TFS and getting latest, we are unable to open the .rxtst with the below errors, I've found similar issues on the forum but the exception is lightly different. Any help would be appreciated
Attachments
error2.PNG
error2.PNG (62.16 KiB) Viewed 119 times
error1.PNG
error1.PNG (6.82 KiB) Viewed 119 times

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Error when opening .rxtst file when checking changes in to TFS

Post by Support Team » Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi Andy,

This looks like the result of a bad merge. When TFVS merged two versions of this test suites together, it likely broke the structure, resulting in this error when trying to open it. You have two options at this point:
  1. Manually repair the test suites XML (hard)
  2. Pull a working version before the merge (easier, but you lose any recent work)
If you are able to provide your test suite file, I will be happy to look at it and see if I can repair the file manually for you.

In the future, it is highly recommended to use our Magic Merger to handle some files that have been known to cause merge headaches such as this. Source control tools (including TFVS) do not do a very good job at merging test suites, repositories, or csproj files. The Ranorex Magic Merger is used by the source control tool to help resolve merge issues correctly (often automatically). Click here for more information. TFVS does require some manual steps to configure properly.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Ned

andy.simpson

Re: Error when opening .rxtst file when checking changes in to TFS

Post by andy.simpson » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 am

OK thanks,

We ended up rolling back as we had been checking in frequently so very little was lost, we have installed magic merger and since then have not had any conflicts to guess its doing its magic in the background, thanks for your assistance :)