Executing Ranorex from Tomcat

Ask general questions here.
bygones

Executing Ranorex from Tomcat

Post by bygones » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:56 am

Hi,

I hope that some windows experts can help me out here.

I have a web application that basically calls Ranorex from command line to execute tests.

I deployed the application into tomcat and when starting tomcat on the console, the application works and ranorex is executed.

When running tomcat as a service (on windows 7 professional) ranorex is started, but fails to open any windows and therefore the tests fail.

What I tried is to set the flag "Allow service to interact with desktop" for the tomcat service, as I checked that the "NoInteractiveServices" registry entry is set to 0.

But the execution still fails.

Anyone has any idea how to configure the service, so that I can execute Ranorex successfully ?

krstcs

Re: Executing Ranorex from Tomcat

Post by krstcs » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:34 pm

As is stated in the User Guide, Ranorex cannot be started from a service. Even if you set the service to interact with desktop, Ranorex will not start with the ability to see the desktop and therefore cannot interact with or identify elements.

You must start Ranorex from user-level location, not a service, which means you must start Tomcat from the user console.

Allowing a service to interact with the desktop does not create a realized desktop instance, it merely allows the service to manipulate things that are in a realized desktop. Any application started by the service will still be started in the service's domain area, not on a realized desktop.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

bygones

Re: Executing Ranorex from Tomcat

Post by bygones » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 pm

ah thanks - good to know