Failed to instrument WPF process

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
lucian.teodorescu

Failed to instrument WPF process

Post by lucian.teodorescu » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 am

Hi,

I keep getting this warning: "Failed to instrument WPF process. UI element identification capabilities for this window are limited. The following website provides more information on this technology limitation:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... umentation (This message is only shown once per report.) "

Elements in repository are selected from WPF tree. Also, I've tried setting WPF Legacy/UIA Interaction as WpfOnly, but the warning is still there.

So far everything goes nice and smooth, except this warning that makes my report to look bad. :roll:

Any idea how to fix this?

Using Ranorex 5.4
AUT: WPF
.NET 4.5 both in AUT and Test Solution
Win 7 64bit
Lucian Teodorescu
NetSun Software

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Failed to instrument WPF process

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am

Hello lucian.teodorescu ,

The issue could be related to your .NET framework. Please uninstall both, Ranorex and all installations of the .NET framework. Afterwards, install the .NET framework again. Then, Ranorex can be installed again.

Please perform the steps in the prescribed order.

Hope that this information helps you in resolving the issue.

Regards,
Robert

hellojohnlee

Post by hellojohnlee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 am

I seem to have the same issue and tried the explained steps but still get the warning. I don't have the issue on a client pc with ranorex installed; but on a VM install I get this warning message continuously and occasionally I get a timeout on objects (not found in 1000ms; even though the Search Timeout for the particular object was set to 5000ms or greater). Also my entire repository uses UIA not WPF.

This Failed to instrument WPF process warning message tends to come up early on but not at the first test step; and with the recent reinstall of all .Net frameworks it shows up a little later in the test steps than before.

One thing to note; initially the VM didn't have a lot of memory and the AUT ran a little slow and items were timing out; so I increased the search timeout to something large and noticed items were not being found within 1000ms in the error message (this would not change no matter what I set for an object's search timeout). I increased the memory on the VM and the items were not timing out but the warning still exists.

I'm curious why I'm getting this warning even though I'm using UIA Only.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Hello hellojohnlee,

The instrumentation process takes some time, sometimes new windows are launched within the application under test which need to be instrumented. Since this works on your physical machine it’s most likely that your VM can’t instrument parts of your application within a specific time.

If the issue occurs at specific steps within your test, e.g. after launching new windows etc., simply try to add a delay after these steps.

Hope this information helps.

Sincerely,
Robert

FelixK98

Post by FelixK98 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I am getting the same warning message:
Failed to instrument WPF process. UI element identification capabilities for this window are limited.
The following website provides more information on this technology limitation:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... umentation
(This message is only shown once per report.)
But I am running iOS hybrid app tests and Web App tests and we don't use wpf at all.

Any suggestion how to get rid off it?

I am running Ranorex 6.0 (previously i had 5.4.6 during evaluation)
App runs on iOS 9.3.1
I installed RxService and RxBrowser for version 6.0 on iOS device.

Thanks,
Felix.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Tue May 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Most likely you have a WPF-based application open on your desktop while you are running the test. Please close all other (non-Ranorex) applications and see if the message goes away.

In addition, if it is just a warning, you can safely ignore it if you aren't testing against that particular technology.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

FelixK98

Post by FelixK98 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:41 am

Hi krstcs,

I closed all applications running on desktop.
I left with Ranorex Studio only. But warning message still persist.
And I can't find how to disable warnings for WPF.

Thanks,
Felix.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon May 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi Felix,

Did you already overcome that issue?

Sincerely,
Robert