Faulty element recognition with admin privileges (Chrome)

Ask general questions here.
nate357159

Faulty element recognition with admin privileges (Chrome)

Post by nate357159 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 pm

When I run Ranorex and record a macro everything goes fine, Chrome window is launched or new tab is added to Chrome, all appropriate fields are recognized.

When I attempt to run the macro I'm forced to login as an administrator which is necessary as I understand it.

Now, when Ranorex opens a new Chrome window it's launched by the administrator, and none of the fields on any webpage are recognized by ranorex!

I'm sure this is a duplicate but I could not find the other post. Thank you very much for the help!

Windows 8.1
Chrome 47.0.2526.80
Ranorex plugin installed and enabled

Martin

Re: Faulty element recognition with admin privileges (Chrome)

Post by Martin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:00 pm

If running macros in admin mode is necessary (which i have no understanding of) just run chrome and Ranorex in admin mode as well when recording.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Faulty element recognition with admin privileges (Chrome)

Post by krstcs » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:33 pm

If this is intended to be a bug report, it should have been put in the "Bug Reports" forum, however, I don't think it's a bug, but perhaps a misunderstanding of how the system works.

In order to avoid problems with privilege issues, you should run Ranorex and the system under test with the same privilege level, but that does not necessarily have to be as an administrator.

I have never found Chrome to require administrator privileges. Have you tried running both without administrator privileges?

Also, are you absolutely sure that the issue isn't with your XPath? Have you checked the element that is not being found with RanorexSpy after it fails to verify that the XPath is the same as the one you have in the repository?
Shortcuts usually aren't...