Feature Request - Barcode reader

Ask general questions here.
mmackay23

Feature Request - Barcode reader

Post by mmackay23 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Hello,

I am needing to validate that 2D barcodes are being generated correctly. I plan to capture the barcode image using the RanorexPath and then take a screenshot of the element. With the image I can then use a barcode reader algorithm to grab the data into a string which then can be verified. I am searching in the land of the internet for a decent class/module which can read 2D barcodes, which there are a few but these seem to be barcode reading libraries that cost!

This would be a neat feature to have such as the RawText Plugin. However would be even more cool if it could read other types of barcode too like UPC and so on.

Thank you

Martin Mackay
Martin Mackay
Automation Test Analyst

"To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
-Winston Churchill

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request - Barcode reader

Post by Support Team » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:07 pm

I think bar code recognition is a bit out of scope for Ranorex, considering that robust bar code recognition and decoding is usually a non-trivial task.
Using a 3rd party .Net library is probably the best idea; If you have only one type of 2d bar code, you might try to decode it pixel by pixel because there is no rotation or shearing involved.

Michael
Ranorex Team

mmackay23

Re: Feature Request - Barcode reader

Post by mmackay23 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 am

Hi thanks for a quick response. I have found a 3rd party freeware tool that decodes most types of barcode. Using Ranorex I can automate the use of the tool and verify the returned string value.

Thanks

Martin
Martin Mackay
Automation Test Analyst

"To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
-Winston Churchill