Feature request: Executable tests without Ranorex

Bug reports.
artur_gadomski

Feature request: Executable tests without Ranorex

Post by artur_gadomski » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:50 am

Would it be possible to enable test executables to be run on a machine without Ranorex installation, by including Ranorex libraries with executable and hard coding information about floating licence server into test code/test configuration?

We have a couple of installation scripts written and it would be useful if we could execute them on any machine in house, but to do that we would need to install and configure Ranorex on each machine. If we could include Ranorex libraries and information about Ranorex licence server, we could easily move this scripts to different machines and run them locally without worrying about whether or not Ranorex installation is present.

This would of course only work with floating licences and would make them more appealing.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Executable tests without Ranorex

Post by Support Team » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi,

This feature already exists in Ranorex, but it is not documented yet. Just copy all Ranorex DLL's from the "Program Files\Ranorex*\bin" to your output folder. Now copy a valid floating license to your output folder. The package to run the Ranorex executable is complete now. It should look like following:
  • Ranorex2_Server.lic
  • A lot of dlls :D
  • test.exe
Please check if the prerequisites are installed on the machine where you want to execute Ranorex without a runtime installed. Therefore take a look to following documentation http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... ments.html

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

artur_gadomski

Post by artur_gadomski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:46 am

Where can i find this licence file? Should it be on my workstation on licence server?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 am

Hi,

You can find the license file on a registered machine which uses the floating license server. You will find the file under following location.
Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
Windows 7:
C:\Users\All Users

This folder are default hidden, so please enable the option "Show Hidden File and Folders" in Windows Explorer.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

artur_gadomski

Post by artur_gadomski » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:24 am

Found it :D
Windows 7:
C:\Program Data

sdaly

Post by sdaly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:21 am

Hi

I have Ranorex3_Server in my output folder but I get the Ranorex Evaluation prompt unless I move the file to app data.... I thought Ranorex picks this up or do I need to copy to the relevant app data location?

Thanks

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Scott,

if you put all Ranorex DLL's and the Ranorex3_Server.lic into one folder, then Ranorex should use the License Server from the license key.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

sdaly

Post by sdaly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi Peter

That is what I did but I kept getting the evaluation dialog unless I moved the license into the appdata location. Maybe it could be something to do with running through NUnit, maybe different working working directories or something! I have it working anyway by moving the license...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Scott,

That's strange I tried it too but without NUnit and it worked. Did you try to run the script without NUnit?

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

andagongs

Post by andagongs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Even if this thread is very old, i had the same problem today: Ranorex "portable" package running well, fetching the license from within the folder. But using NUnit the license was not found.

Solution is, to disable NUnit ShadowCopy, otherwise it will copy your DLLs in a Temp folder, and run them there. Here something goes wrong and the license cannot be found.

Open NUnit, goto Tools -> Settings, In Settings, select Advanced and Check Disable Shadow Copy
Guido,
andagon GmbH
www.andagon.com

Div2013

Post by Div2013 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:40 am

Hi,

I am using Ranorex 3.2 with Node locked user license. I would like to run the ranorex executable in a machine that does not has ranorex installed. Can you suggest any way to do so?

flashmark

Post by flashmark » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:39 am

Hi,

Still this procedure is valid?

I tried to install Microsft installer on Windows server 2012.But it wasn't succedded due to an error ("Not enough storage is available to install this prodcut" - But the drive has more than 50 GB :))

That is what I'm looking for other solution to execute tests without Ranorex.

thanks

lestrelles

Post by lestrelles » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 am

Hi,

I have the same scenario wherein I need to run tests to a machine without Ranorex installed. The previous converstion written has helped me and I was able to run my scripts.

However, I need to change the values that were set in Global Parameters since we're using dynamic data. Whenever I run the .exe file, the script was automatically executed using the parameters defined in .rxtst file.

Is it possible in Ranorex to define Global Parameters without using Ranorex Runtime?
Could someone help me or give me a link of an existing conversation on how to do this?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:55 pm

You can set the parameters on the command-line.

Please read the user-guide, it explains how to use the command-line as well as a great many other things.

http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20.html
Shortcuts usually aren't...

orbistest

Post by orbistest » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 am

Hi - I am trying to follow through on a number of threads so that I can do the following -
Develope tests on one machine
move the tests to our developer build machine so that the exe can run during the build process as part of the regression checks.

I am going to
1. copy all Ranorex DLL's from the "Program Files\Ranorex*\bin" to your output folder.
(This seems to contradict
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... suite.html
which states
"
In short, to deploy a Ranorex test to a runtime machine it's required to copy the complete output folder (e.g. 'bin/debug') to the target machine.
"
).

2. copy the licence file to the same folder from a machine with a roaming licence registered to our licence server.
3. copy the full bin\debug folder to a sub-folder of the ranorex\bin on the build machine
4. run the exe in the debug sub-folder

The problem I have is that I cannot find the licence file on my Windows 2012 machine.
I am running Ranorex 6.1. I have seen the folders suggested for other operating systems on
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/feature-re ... html#p7455

I have un-hidden all folders under c:\users and done a search for .lic files with no success.

Firstly, DO I have the Process correct? (Which folders should I copy?)
Secondly, Where can I find the licence on Win 2012 with Rx 6?

Many thanks,
Kevin