FEATURE REQUEST: GIT integration

Bug reports.
krstcs

FEATURE REQUEST: GIT integration

Post by krstcs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:17 pm

I would like to request that Ranorex Studio have Git integration added. This is already included by default in SharpDevelop, but it wasn't carried into Ranorex Studio.

Thanks
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: GIT integration

Post by Support Team » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your feature request.
Ranorex uses an older version of SharpDevelop and that's the reason that it is not so easy to add the plugin in Ranorex at the moment.
I will add a feature request in our bug tracking system and we will discuss the feature internally.
Thank you!

Regards,
Bernhard

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Excellent! Thanks Bernhard!

svetlana.glinskaya

Post by svetlana.glinskaya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:12 pm

Hello Bernhard

what's the status of the feature request? Ranorex Studio suits needs of our company really well, but absence of the GIT integration is a significant drawback.

WBR

rneuber1

Post by rneuber1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:58 pm

The same applies here. We are currently setting up a new development environment in which git plays a major role, so git integration into Ranorex would be great.

\Ralf

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately I have no news regarding the GIT integration.
Our development team is investigating some possibilities for such an integration.
Unfortunately I cannot promise if or when the integration will be part of Ranorex.

Regards,
Bernhard

treaz

Post by treaz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm

Hello,

I would also like that feature. Support, can you refer us to the ticket? Or is there a place where we can upvote it?

Horia

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Hello Horia,

Unfortunately, we will not integrate GIT into Ranorex Studio but you should be able to use the GIT tool to check-in and check-out your files without any issues.

Regards,
Markus (T)

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm

So, you guys have decided NOT to integrate Git into Ranorex at all?

Is this due to the base SharpDevelop version you are using for Ranorex? Are you working on updating Ranorex to use a newer version of SD? The newer versions of SD have Git built in.

It is a very disappointing if you guys have indeed decided not to pursue this at all, especially in light of the amount of your own users who are using Git and have requested its integration...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:02 pm

krstcs wrote:So, you guys have decided NOT to integrate Git into Ranorex at all?
We will not develop nor claim support for Git integration into Ranorex Studio, correct (see reasoning below).
However, we will work on updating to a newer SharpDevelop version (a long and tedious task). If that version then supports Git integration, you could use that SharpDevelop addon with Ranorex Studio - on your own risk, I have to say.

There are several reasons why we are not pursuing Git integration:
Firstly, we see quite a number of problems coming from the already integrated SVN and TFS source control systems. There's a lot of special handling in Ranorex Studio to make sure the source control operations do work correctly on all file types in all situations and especially with the background code-generation.
Secondly, there are several different versions for each source control system and we would need to support and test all those combinations.
Thirdly, all of the systems provide an easy to use Windows Explorer addin. In other words, there is an alternative to the integration in Ranorex Studio providing the same or even more functionality.

Summarized, it is not that we don't want Git integration in Ranorex Studio, we just have limited resources (as everyone in the business) and we think that we should concentrate on the key functionality that is unique to Ranorex.

I hope I explained our point of view. Feel free to share yours :)

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Yeah, I understand.

It is unfortunate, but given the issues you guys have had with TFS and SVN, it's not surprising.

Thanks for the explanation.

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:20 am

Hi,

What is the latest in terms of GIT integration? Has the decision to not integrate it been revisited?

We are not in immediate need for GIT but we may move from SVN to GIT in the future and so it would be great if Ranorex supports it.

If there is still no direct integration planned than it would be very helpful having a "how to" blog that would explain how to work with GIT when using Ranorex.

Christoph

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Christoph,

As Alex already stated, we don’t plan to integrate GIT. Currently, there is also no documentation planned since GIT is not working with our current version of SharpDevelop.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Robert