Feature Request: Licensing

Ask general questions here.
Ciege

Feature Request: Licensing

Post by Ciege » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi guys, I have a request that maybe you could think about for sometime in the future dealing with how Ranorex is licensed... Actually two requests.

First, I would like to request that we get the ability to use floating licenses. I.e. the license can be handed to different machines from a centralized license server at any given time. Particularly useful when we have to test different OS, network and service combinations (infrequently) but don't want to tie up a license for something that would only be used once in a while.

Second, I would like to request a distributable license. This would be useful when we have written some automation code to either test or "do something" that we could distribute to our customers. Many of our customer base are not that tech savvy and have a hard time with requests for doing specialized tests and environment setups. If we could distribute a Ranorex runtime license to them we could write code to do what we needed them to do and return to us the results that the log produced. Obviously this would need to have some sort of time-bomb built into it so that it would be disabled after some arbitrary amount of time.

Both of those licensing schemes would be beneficial to us and I am sure to other customers as well.

Thanks!
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Licensing

Post by Support Team » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am

Hi,

many thanks for your request. We're currently discussing the option to provide our users with a license server appilcation which is needed to handle a floation option for Ranorex licenses. You're not the only one requesting floating licenses. Therefore we'll have to find a solution for that missing feature.

It's not so easy for us to allow the distribution of Ranorex based automation modules including all necessary Ranorex libraries. There are so many different ways and use cases of how one could use an embedded or distributable Ranorex license. But we will talk about it internally ,too.

kind regards,

Christoph
Ranorex Support Team

Ciege

Re: Feature Request: Licensing

Post by Ciege » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks for looking into it. Hopefully you guys come up with a better solution than I've used in the past (FlexLM - UGH!)...
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...