Feature Request: optimizing off unused repository elements

Class library usage, coding and language questions.
BorisS

Feature Request: optimizing off unused repository elements

Post by BorisS » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:59 pm

We use Ranorex to build a testing system for a very big application with more than 500 dialoges and complex graphic tools. The approach is to produce many testing solutions, each containing a single projekt with several testcases. All solutions has to use the same repository.

I am aware of your suggestion of using multiple repositories in such cases, but this approach have many, hardly acceptable drawbacks. One of them is the intergrativeness of our application. Dialogs are very similar and the main subject of testing are the graphical features, which are made with the help of the same basic entities. Producing multiple repositories actually means supporting the multiple copies of the same code what is extremely ineffective.

Another advantage of a single repository is the ability to browse the complete Ranorex code base in order to find already implemented operations with different GUI elements. In case of a single repository that could be done by producing a single solution, which includes all test projects and is used exclusively for the browsing purposes. That is not possible in case of many repositories.

I suppose that a single repository could grow pretty big with time and that could make it slow. My question is how about a ranorex setting enabling compilation with the cleaned repository? In such a case the repository actually compiled into executable will always be tiny no matter how big is the repository used during development.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Feature Request: optimizing off unused repository elements

Post by krstcs » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Feature requests should be made through email to [email protected].
Shortcuts usually aren't...