First time fail but successful after that

Ask general questions here.
russell.johnston

First time fail but successful after that

Post by russell.johnston » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi,

I have an issue. I have tests that fail the first time they are run, but then are successful every other time. This only happens if I don't run them for a while or reboot my PC. I have noticed there was another post about this a while ago, but it has been locked.

Is this a common issue?

Thanks
Russ

Vega

Re: First time fail but successful after that

Post by Vega » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:15 pm

If you are able to share a report of a failed run and a passing run, that would be helpful. If the test isnt too long, I would also suggest enabling the video recording feature for any clues:
hope this helps

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: First time fail but successful after that

Post by odklizec » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 am

Hi,

This situation is definitely not normal and I guess it's some kind of timing/xpath issue. Aside of what Vega suggested, please post a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of failing element and full xpath of element, as you have it stored in repository. Also, I would suggest to incorporate Create Snapshot action to you test. ideally, just before the usually failing action. And in this snapshot specify entire app, not just the failing element. This way, you should be able to debug the failing xpath, which I think is either different, expired or not-yet available during the failing test?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration