Floating License not available after Ranorex is closed

Ask general questions here.
lawrence

Floating License not available after Ranorex is closed

Post by lawrence » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:05 am

Hi everyone

Sometimes I need to use our Ranorex Floating License on a VM and then I switch back to working on my laptop.
Even after I have closed Ranorex on the VM and logged out of the VM I'm still not able to login to Ranorex on my laptop.
After waiting 30mins I still get the License Manager error saying there's no suitable license.

Questions:
Is this expected, i.e. do I have to wait that long before I can use the floating license on another machine?
If not, is there a way to speed up this process (license manager flush or something like that)?

Many thanks and kind regards
Lawrence

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Floating License not available after Ranorex is closed

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:35 am

Hi,

Typically, floating license should get released automatically after closing the studio or at the end of test (I believe within 5m?). Sadly, from time to time, license is not released. Usually, it's because there is still running something in the background, for example Spy and I remember an issue with unreleased bit bridge? The first one must be closed manually, the second one, if not released, must be killed in the Task Manager. Then the license should get released.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to release a stuck license manually from license manager or command line. There is already a user voice created for this:
https://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/15 ... se-a-block
Last edited by odklizec on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

lawrence

Re: Floating License not available after Ranorex is closed

Post by lawrence » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:10 pm

thanks for the info, odklizec, your help is much appreciated!