FR: Breakpoint in Record mode

Bug reports.
j.early

FR: Breakpoint in Record mode

Post by j.early » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Would be useful to have breakpoints from the recording instead of having to look into the code :)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FR: Breakpoint in Record mode

Post by Support Team » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,

How should this act respectively what should be the benefit?

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Actually, I think what he is asking for is something along the lines of a "MANUAL WAIT-FOR-USER" type step.

In other words, the system would sit waiting for the user to respond to a pop-up/dialog. It might appear in Studio as a "Manual Step" and you could add it to the test just like other steps, but it would be a wrapper (configurable) for a Dialog Box object.

Honestly, while I think this could be useful in certain situations, it can be done now with user code by just calling a user created method and having the dialog box pop up from there.

tl;dr: Something that can already be done if the user learns the system and can do basic .NET code.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

j.early

Post by j.early » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:07 am

Am talking about the exact same functionality as the breakpoint in code mode, only for recording.

So for example, you have created a script that passes fine one day but fails the next, inserting a breakpoint on the recording step before the fail aids in debugging.

Some property may have changed in the newest build, something may change on the fly while the app is running etc.

No manual step needed, just the same functional aspects in code view, but in recorder as well.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:31 pm

If that is the case, then you can do that now. Just go into the code view of the item you are interested in and add a break point. You can add breaks to the generated code, I do it all the time.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

j.early

Post by j.early » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:12 am

krstcs your input is welcomed but if you had of read the original post, I know you can do it within code. That's why I stated instead of looking into code.

It would save me a mintues each day and that's a good thing when you have a large backlog of stuff to do :lol: :lol:

zator

Post by zator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 am

In my opinion it would not be so usefull. You need to see code if you want to debug anything. Also one acton in recording module is usually more than one line of code so if u want to have full control of debuging you have to look into source.

j.early

Post by j.early » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

zator wrote:In my opinion it would not be so usefull. You need to see code if you want to debug anything. Also one acton in recording module is usually more than one line of code so if u want to have full control of debuging you have to look into source.
Reasonable response zator, never thought of it that way.

Scrap this FR :wink: :wink: