General techniques for testing videos

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
lostinspace

General techniques for testing videos

Post by lostinspace » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:00 am

I was wondering if there are recommended approaches to automating video testing through Ranorex. Namely confirming that a given byte-stream is received and interpreted to the "same" video if sent multiple times to a piece of code that was saving each transmission as a separate video.

I found the information on the image based automation @ ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20/lesson-5-ranorex-recorder/image-based-automation.html which could be used to compare images, but I'm not sure if this could also be applied to video and exactly how one would go about approaching it. thanks in advance!

RobinHood42

Re: General techniques for testing videos

Post by RobinHood42 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:57 am

Hi lostinspace,

There is no way to "test" videos using Ranorex's image-based automation capabilities. This would just allow you to compare and validate single pictures of your videos, which is pretty impossible due to varying replay speed. Just a difference of a millisecond would mess the image comparison.

So, I can't think of any UI based approach of comparing videos. You would really need to dig deeper and compare for example the byte stream as you have mentioned.

Hope this helps,
Robin