General Use

Ask general questions here.
CuriosityKitty

General Use

Post by CuriosityKitty » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi All,
I've never used this product and on researching it seems to do some of what I might need but I have (quite) a few questions that I'm hoping some of you users may know the answers to.
Can Ranorex Studios be used to run through functions on a mobile phone, such as making a call with sound from the handset, VoLTE, send text messages etc? The phone would be connected directly and I'd like it to mimic actual use such as swiping etc.
Can the program access external files, so I can list a specific file in the test script?
Does it record if the tests have passed/failed and are they stored so you can refer back to them?
Lastly, can it be set to run automatically or at least set up some kind of cron job?
Thanks in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: General Use

Post by odklizec » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:03 am

Hi,
Please see the answers below...
Can Ranorex Studios be used to run through functions on a mobile phone, such as making a call with sound from the handset, VoLTE, send text messages etc? The phone would be connected directly and I'd like it to mimic actual use such as swiping etc.
You may have some (limited) success with Android apps, but it's definitely not possible to interact with system apps on iOS platform (because of iOS security limitations).
Can the program access external files, so I can list a specific file in the test script?
Well, I'm not quite sure what exactly you want to achieve, but generally speaking, yes, it's possible to access "external" files from Ranorex. You may just need to write some code to parse the file? There is no function for automatic parsing of files.
Does it record if the tests have passed/failed and are they stored so you can refer back to them?
Ranorex creates a comprehensive report, with success/failures, at the end of each test run. You can also enable creating of junit xml file (along with standard report).
Lastly, can it be set to run automatically or at least set up some kind of cron job?
As with reading external files, there is no built-in function for this. But of course, you can run and control various aspects of test run from command line. You can also use windows scheduler to run your tests at specific time and Ranorex can be integrated with various continuous integration tools (like Jenkins, Bamboo, and similar). For more details about Ranorex and CI, check this user guide post:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... tegration/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

CuriosityKitty

Re: General Use

Post by CuriosityKitty » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:35 am

Thank you for your detailed response, much appreciated.