Generating a new test by recording the running of an old one

Ask general questions here.
TomBrad

Generating a new test by recording the running of an old one

Post by TomBrad » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm

The company I work for has a large number of tests in automation tools that are no longer supported e.g. Rational Robot, and need replacing with a Ranorex test that exercises the same functionality. Can a test in an obsolete tool be run while Ranorex is recording, so as to speed up the re-implementation of the test in Ranorex? Are there issues to bear in mind when using this approach?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Generating a new test by recording the running of an old one

Post by odklizec » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:42 am

Hi,

You may, of course, try to record old tests with Ranorex. But to be quite honest, I don't think this approach will save you much time, if any. Recording tool is a nice helper, but you should not rely on it to record everything. And you should definitely not expect it will record everything flawlessly and that the result will have the same reliability as your original test. I''m personally using recording only in very small chunks, up to 5-10 steps. And then after each recording session, I'm checking everything and cleaning and polishing all new repository elements (their xpaths). There is no simple and fast workaround.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration