Get property values from controls

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
Japise

Get property values from controls

Post by Japise » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi,

Been trying to get the 'Widht'-property from a object inheriting from a System.Windows.Forms.Control using the GetValue action in the recorder, but it just returns null?

Can this be achieved or do we need to write user methods for retrieving such properties? Examples?

/Best reards
Jari

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Get property values from controls

Post by Support Team » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi Japise,

Normally it should not be a problem to access this property. From which object to you retrieve the “Width”-property? Please check your object. Maybe the value of the property is zero?

If have created a small sample where I retrieve the width of a “CheckBox”. Stored the value in a variable and logged it to the Report.

GetWidthProperty.png
Regards,
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Japise

Post by Japise » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:53 pm

I'm trying to fetch the value from a column header (Thirdparty grid called flexgrid). The value I'm interested in is the Size property found in the detail tab. Getting null when trying to reference it in the GetValue method Assumed it was a control based on the properties in the detail section.

/J
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KurtZ

Post by KurtZ » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:15 pm

I think you are getting null because "Size" as you have highlighted in your screen print is just redisplaying the width and height properties. If you switch to the Overview tab, you will probably see the Size property is blank.

You need to get the Width and Height directly as Robert shows in his screen print. You can also modify your code with something like:

Code: Select all

Cell.Element.GetAttributeValue("width")
or

Cell.Element.Size.Width

Japise

Post by Japise » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for the quick response! I tried the code and it seems that there's only the size property available in the class, since running:

Cell.Element.GetAttributeValue("width")
returns null, while

Cell.Element.Size.Width
returns the value.

I would guess that there is no support for accessing sub-properties by using the GetValue action (like "Size.Width")?. So this needs to be made a user method in this case.

/J

AutomationTester

Post by AutomationTester » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:34 am

Hai Japise,

You should use

Cell.Element.GetAttributeValueText("width")
instead of Cell.Element.GetAttributeValue("width") to get the width.

GetAttributeValueText will retrieve the value of the attribute specified in the quotes.

Regards,
Amiruddin, Indium software - Automation COE