Get text value dynamically, how?

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
henrikw

Get text value dynamically, how?

Post by henrikw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:33 am

Hi

We're currently evaluating and testing Ranorex Studio and I hope someone could help me with this.
We have a web app which is the backend to a device. In a test case we want to connect to our device using VNC. The first test went well and I used get value in the recorder to get the IP-address and paste it into the VNC viewer to connect.

However after a restart of the device, it gets a new IP-address and consequently the backend changed the IP-address for this device as well. Now when I run the same test it won't connect cause it tries to paste the previous IP-address and not the updated one.

We could solve this setting static IP's and so on, but is there a way to get this 'updated' value somehow? We're not coders so I was hoping there was a non-coding-solution for our hurdle :D

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Get text value dynamically, how?

Post by odklizec » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:45 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, that without additional details about your test case and, at very least, Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of the AUT, it's impossible to provide a reasonable solution. Without seeing the snapshot and knowing detailed test steps, I can only suggest to check this blog spot, if it's of any use?...
https://www.ranorex.com/blog/sharing-da ... o-another/

Where exactly is used the IP address? In an xpath? In this case, you can make the IP-part of xpath a variable, which can be filled from Global Parameter (or TestCase/SmartFolder parameter). And if you know the IP address before starting the test itself, you can fill the IP Global Parameter from command line. Do you know the IP before starting test?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration