Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

GetChildLineageFromUID for Edge Errors

Post by Tomsk666 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:22 am

Ranorex 8.3.0
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Edge Browser

When recording & replaying against Edge browser with Ranorex 8.3 I continually get an error pop up when replaying the tests about GetChildLineageFromUID, see below.
Lineage error.jpg
Lineage error.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 67 times
The test continues to execute, and when the timeout is reached, it happily executes the step and continues (so the script runs through successfully), but I then get warnings in the Ranorex report:

00:36.697 Warn Repository
Jump to item View Help
Item 'MyTestRepository.ApplicationUnderTest.AddToCart' could be found using its absolute path, but not using its relative path from the cached element of parent folder 'MyTestRepository.ApplicationUnderTest'. This can happen if either the item search timeout is too small or if items within a rooted folder do not share a common parent element. To fix this problem, first increase the item search timeout. If this does not help, create a separate rooted folder for this item or disable caching for the specified folder.

I have had the same thing in Edge against several websites just using record & replay. I don't get the error in Firefox or Chrome.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: GetChildLineageFromUID for Edge Errors

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi,

Have you tried to run the test with admin rights? "Access denied" message looks like a problem with permissions?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Tomsk666 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Yes, I always run Ranorex as Aministrator, and logged into Windows as an admin account also

Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Tomsk666 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

Finding that this is not just Edge browser, I finding the same on the KeePass Windows desktop app.
Try a simple record & replay against KeePass, where you add an entry.
Ranorex 8.3 seems to timeout on almost every element on replay, but eventually finds the element, so in the results, I get multiple warnings like this:

00:40.933 Warn Repository
Item 'MyTest1Repository.ApplicationUnderTest.Cancel' could be found using its absolute path, but not using its relative path from the cached element of parent folder 'MyTest1Repository.ApplicationUnderTest'. This can happen if either the item search timeout is too small or if items within a rooted folder do not share a common parent element. To fix this problem, first increase the item search timeout. If this does not help, create a separate rooted folder for this item or disable caching for the specified folder.

I have tried this on a couple of Windows 10 machines and get the same problem. This didn't happen in 8.2, only when we just upgraded.

Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Tomsk666 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 am

Found the Solution for this!
This is caused when you use the new solution wizard.
When you use the new wizard, the application is added to the object repository using the process name attribute. If you do not use the wizard and add/record elements normally, then it will use standard attributes for application folders such as control name.
For some reason, using the 'process name' attribute' seems to be what is causing the replay issues and the warnings in this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:06 am

Hi,

Just in case, do you have both Edge process names (MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP) on the white list?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Tomsk666 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:05 pm

So my last post about KeePass, is down to the attributes the new wizard uses (process_name) that was causing the problem. So this is one problem.

However, the Edge browser errors are a different problem. Just tried with both MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP on the whitelist and get the same errors. Then tried with nothing in the whitelist and still get the same errors in Ranorex. So looks like this is a different issue than the Wizard issue above, as the application folder attributes seem to be what you normally see in testing web browsers.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:22 pm

Hello Tomsk666,

regarding the warning you get when running your tests, it seems the folder caching is enabled on the 'MyTest1Repository.ApplicationUnderTest' and the cached RanoreXPath is not valid. Please try to set "Use Cache" to false on this repository folder and run the test again.

Unfortunately, I don't see the issue on my end. Can you share a sample solution so that we can reproduce it on our side? This will help us better analyzing the issue.

Sincerely,
Bernhard

Tomsk666
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Tomsk666 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks Bernhard, I have set the folder caching to False and this has solved the problem in Edge Browser!