Getting Index was out of range error even when right range used

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
sureshkondapally

Getting Index was out of range error even when right range used

Post by sureshkondapally » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:49 am

Hi,

I am getting Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: indexerror when executing my code.
I have a 3 div tags and an anchor tag somewhere inside each div. my requirement here is to click on that A tag. I have written below code.
var objEle = Object_Repository.Portfolios.Instance.XYz.Portfolios.test;
DivTag dt = (DivTag)objEle;

IList<DivTag> PCards = dt.Find<DivTag>("//div[@class='portfolios__portfolio-card']"); //getting 3 Devs here without any issue.
for(int i=0;i<PCards.Count;i++)
{
Report.Info("I = ",i.ToString());
PCards.FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick();
// Report.Info("Divs",PCards.FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].InnerText.ToString());
Delay.Seconds(5);
repo.XYz.Menu_Items.Portfolios.Click();//I am getting back to main menu to select another A(link)
}

For 2nd iteration its throwing that error. So initially I thought its i value but Im getting the same error if I get my code out of the loop also, as below.
//Code without loop but getting same error when reached to next click.
PCards[0].FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick();

Delay.Seconds(5);
repo.XYz.Menu_Items.Portfolios.Click();
PCards[1].FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick(); // getting the same error here.

Delay.Seconds(5);
PCards[2].FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick();

Delay.Seconds(5);

AND THE CODE IS WORKING VERY FINE if I am clicking only one for the entire test execution i.e. PCards[1].FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick(); and PCards[2].FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick(); are working fine If I execute a single statement for whole test run, but if Im continuing one by one in single execution Im getting that error.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Getting Index was out of range error even when right range used

Post by odklizec » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi,

Could you please post a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot), which would show us the structure of UI you are working with?

At next, I see a problem in bolded part of the code:
IList<DivTag> PCards = dt.Find<DivTag>("//div[@class='portfolios__portfolio-card']"); //getting 3 Devs here
PCards.FindDescendants<ATag>()[0].PerformClick();
Since the PCards is a list, FindDescendants may not return expected elements? But it's hard to say without seeing the snapshot. I would suggest to try this code instead:

Code: Select all

var objEle = Object_Repository.Portfolios.Instance.XYz.Portfolios.test;
			DivTag dt = (DivTag)objEle;

IList<DivTag> PCards = dt.Find<DivTag>("//div[@class='portfolios__portfolio-card']"); //getting 3 Devs here without any issue.
			foreach (DivTag pCard in PCards) 
			{
				pCard.FindDescendans<ATag>()[0].PerformClick();
				Delay.Seconds(5);
				repo.XYz.Menu_Items.Portfolios.Click();//I am getting back to main menu to select another A(link)
			}
Hope this helps?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sureshkondapally

Post by sureshkondapally » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I am getting below error when used your code.
'Ranorex.DivTag' does not contain a definition for 'FindDescendans' and no extension method 'FindDescendans' accepting a first argument of type 'Ranorex.DivTag' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) (CS1061) -

I am attaching screenshot of the elements hierarchy here as I am afraid to share snapshot as it is revealing some project details. Please see if that is helpful to provide some solution to me. Thanks again.

Suresh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

N612

Post by N612 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm

From what I read, it seems like this can be achieved easily without code with a simple RxPath. Is there a reason you are trying to do this in code? Are you able to provide a Ranorex Snapshot (not a screenshot)? This will greatly help us better understand your AUT, environment, and issue.

Regarding Pavels code, it looks like there was a small typo: pCard.FindDescendans => pCard.FindDescendants