Handling a not responding WPF app

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
RWitanski

Handling a not responding WPF app

Post by RWitanski » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:59 am

Hello,

Is there any way to handle by validate or exist methods a WPF desktop app window which is not responding?
I have tried to use both exist and validate methods, but it seems that Ranorex is trying to find elements in loop and it does not continue to next step or fail the test(timeouts are set).

Is there any possible workaround for this kind of issue?

RobinHood42

Re: Handling a not responding WPF app

Post by RobinHood42 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve, but primarily I'd concentrate on the fact that your AUT is not responding.

Additionally, please add more information to your posting, so people can get a short overview what exactly your plan is and add also details which might be also related to the problem.

Cheers

RWitanski

Post by RWitanski » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm

While my automation test is in progress, in some cases the application which is being tested is not responding.
This problem occurs only while Ranorex is executing the test and this error never happend when test was executed manually.

CloseRegistrationWizard is a button[@visible='true' and @enabled='true' and index()=4]

While the application is hang Ranorex is stuck at the current action and cannot proceed further.

I have tried many ways to solve this problem but could not find any workaround.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi,

Could you please check in repo properties what's the "Effective Timeout" of given element? Also, have you try to use Shift-Pause shortcut to skip the Search timeout?

My guess is that one of the attributes (@visible='true' and @enabled='true' and index()=4) is not fulfilled and therefore, Ranorex keeps searching for the element. However, it should definitely end searching and throw an error once the element is not found during "Effective Timeout".
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

RWitanski

Post by RWitanski » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:09 pm

Efective timeout for the given element is set to 1m.
Also the Shift-Pause does not work when this situation occur (tested from keyboard and on-screen keyboard).

RobinHood42

Post by RobinHood42 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi,

Since this problem seems to be only occuring when automating your application with Ranorex, I'd suggest getting in touch with their support team. I'm sure on of the guys there will arrange a remote session with you.

Cheers,
Robin