Help please - Software Automation Tools?

Class library usage, coding and language questions.
dilshad1

Help please - Software Automation Tools?

Post by dilshad1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Hi All,
My name is Dilshad and I needed an software automation testing tool which is similar to Selenium IDE. I need a simple software which plays and records user testing - without doing any coding. Can you please advise any tools free and non-free?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help please - Software Automation Tools?

Post by Support Team » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 am

Hi dilshad1,

You can easily record and execute tests on any desktop, web and mobile app using Ranorex.
I would recommend downloading the free Trial version of Ranorex from our website and check if it works for you.
You can also send an e-mail to [email protected] if you have any questions about Ranorex.

Regards,
Bernhard

dilshad1

Post by dilshad1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi Bernhard - does Ranorex need to have any coding done prior for automation process? I need a simple, click, click, record, replay, etc. No coding - does Ranorex do that?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Download the FREE TRIAL and find out if Ranorex will work for you.

The long answer is: No automation tool in existence can do everything you are probably going to need or want without you having to write some code or scripts. None. Ranorex gets very close, but unless you are doing the simplest of test automation projects, there are still going to be times when you will need to write code in order to do whatever it is you are wanting to do.

In my opinion (I've been doing test automation and software development for 15 years), as a test automation professional, you are really a software developer and you should learn how to code or script if you are going to continue in this business. If you are a manual tester who is being asked to convert to automation, you need to make sure that your employer provides training for any new tasks that you are being asked to do, if you don't have the knowledge already.

Note: This is a RANOREX site, and discussions or questions about other test automation products should be taken to those products' sites as they will be better equipped to answer your questions.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

dilshad1

Post by dilshad1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:17 pm

But Selenium IDE which works only for Fire fox does do a automation with simple clicks and playbacks. Unfortunately, the IDE works only with Fire fox and not multiple browsers. I need something similar to IDE and I've used IDE for fire fox and it didn't require any coding when I recorded webpage functionalities. There must be some type of automation tool out there which does not require coding at all otherwise this would delay our testing as testers if coding is required along with it.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: App get crashed while tap on element in iOS Instrumented app

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Dilshad,

As mentioned before, the easiest way to find if Ranorex suits your needs is to download the Ranorex trial and give it a try.

Ranorex recording is pretty capable and most probably much easier to use than Selenium, but I have to agree with krstcs about writing code. From the long-term perspective, there is no way to do everything via recording. In fact, it would by pretty bad investment buying Ranorex and use only a small part of it.

Recording actions is only a start. It's helpful and saves a lot of time and you can learn a lot of things by using it. It's especially great if you start and you don't have a good knowledge of all aspects of Ranorex (any test automation tool). But if you want to make your tests robust and without the need to edit them with every minor change of application under test, you need to use also other parts of Ranorex than just recording - e.g. building robust and clean object repository, building library of reusable recording modules, using data connectors and even do some basic coding, like conditions and loops. Believe me, you really don't want to record everything from scratch with each new test case. And doing some basic coding with conditions and loops will make your automation life much easier. BTW, I'm not a professional developer either but I cannot imagine doing reliable test automation without at least some coding. It would be a nightmare ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dilshad1

Post by dilshad1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:23 pm

Thank you all for the help I will give it a shot and download Renorex and check it out. Though would need to get back on coding track and figure this out.

dilshad1

Post by dilshad1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Oh by the way - just in case -do you know any basic UI type automation tool which works very basic things? I'm going to try Ranorex but also others and see how it fits in.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Before I started with Ranorex, I did an extensive research of available test automation tools and I found two basic facts. Free/open source tools are often single-technology oriented and with nowhere as good support and reliability as paid tools. Free does not really mean "costless" ;) Paid tools, on the other hand, offer wide GUI technology coverage, but they are often pretty expensive. There is nothing like a best tool for all or best tool for simple things. I've choose Ranorex, because it offers great price/power ratio. It's relative easy to learn, reliable in long term use and with fantastic customer-oriented support.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration