High memory consumption during run

Class library usage, coding and language questions.
aktest

High memory consumption during run

Post by aktest » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi,

We have written test for our .Net based application and run it in iterations for long hours, over the period of run we observed the memory consumption of Ranorex test exe is increasing.
Need help in analyzing this memory leak issue. Our test includes both Recorded and Coded module, We are using wpf preferred plug-in settings for accessing wpf/UI Automation objects. What should ideally be avoided or taken care in code or tool settings to prevent high memory utilization. Or how can be verify which part is causing memory leak.

Any general suggestions too would be helpful.
Is there any known or ideal memory consumption limit for Ranorex test?

Ranorex version: 5.3.2

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High memory consumption during run

Post by Support Team » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:25 am

Hello aktest,

May I ask you to use “WPF only” in order to check whether the memory leak disappears? Please note that some repository elements may not be found after choosing “WPF only”.

Thanks,
Robert

aktest

Post by aktest » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Thank you Support team, sure i will try to use 'WPF only'.

Meanwhile I would like to know if disabling Ranorex reporting will help in reducing memory consumption, instead we can log user messages in text file from coded modules.

We are just trying to find out possible ways to reduce memory usage by our test.

Thank you,

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:49 am

Hello aktest,

Well, I think disabling the reporting will slightly reduce the overall memory consumption, but it won’t resolve the issue with a memory leak.

Regards,
Robert

aktest

Post by aktest » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi,

Using plugin 'WPF only' has given different results from total AUT run time point of view, though still memory leak is observed over the period of time.
As also mentioned there were many failures due to objects recorded with different plugin were not recognized this time.

Why for wpf objects, using 'WPF only is not showing properties which are visible with UIA plugin.
for example: a combobox with 'wpf only' plugin doesn't shows the list items, whereas with 'UIA preferred' its showing those list items. That's how we used mixed plugins to automate these controls and finally running with 'wpf preffered' plugin.
I'm not sure but it seems the way of tool searching for these objects is affecting the memory space of AUT and causing failures from AUT sides.

Could you please confirm if this is correct?

Thank you,

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:43 am

Hi aktest,

It would be great if you could create two Ranorex snapshot files of your application under test, one with the UIA elements and a second snapshot with disabled UIA ("WPF only").

Please upload the snapshots to the forum or send it to [email protected]. This would really help us in analyzing your issue.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Robert

aktest

Post by aktest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Hello Team,

Thanks for reply, i'm not sure if i can provide the snapshot of AUT requested at this point of time due to company policies but if possible will sure like to get help on our issues.

Meanwhile i can only try things if there's any to got to the root cause of failures.

Thank you,

aktest

Post by aktest » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:11 pm

One more thing is there a way to get the Ranorex Snapshot as requested, for only the UI structure without UI graphics? and if that will help Support team to provide support offline?

Thank you,

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 am

Hello aktest,

Unfortunately, this is not possible. I would suggest writing an email to [email protected] in order to handle your issue in a more confidential way.

Regards,
Robert