How do I share a license with my client?

Ask general questions here.
jecardenasri01
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:33 pm

How do I share a license with my client?

Post by jecardenasri01 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 pm

if I, as the company, have a license and wish my client to use that license as an .exe, which process should I perform on my computer and the client's

I understand I can assign a floating license and a principal, the licenses can only be used 1 at a time and there is no problem.

I also understand that my client must request a host permission to execute my license, that process as I do it?

the question I ask based on:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/licensing

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: How do I share a license with my client?

Post by odklizec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 am

Hi,

Basically, client needs to have access to your network, to be able to reach Ranorex license server. In my opinion, if client is expected to run the tests frequently, it may be easier to buy them a separate runtime license, so they can install it in their network and run the tests without the need to access your network.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jecardenasri01
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: How do I share a license with my client?

Post by jecardenasri01 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:11 pm

odklizec wrote:Hi,

Basically, client needs to have access to your network, to be able to reach Ranorex license server. In my opinion, if client is expected to run the tests frequently, it may be easier to buy them a separate runtime license, so they can install it in their network and run the tests without the need to access your network.


What are the disadvantages of connecting a client to my network with vpn?

and in the case that my client belongs to my network, which process I must have for him to access my automation.

I know that with the ranorex agent I can run my automation on another computer but how can my partner edit my automation?

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 3908
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: How do I share a license with my client?

Post by odklizec » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:42 pm

jecardenasri01 wrote: What are the disadvantages of connecting a client to my network with vpn?
I don't have a clue. I all know is that the machine you wish to connect to Ranorex license server must be on the same network.
jecardenasri01 wrote:and in the case that my client belongs to my network, which process I must have for him to access my automation.
You just need to install Ranorex license server and provide the other guy a license server name. Then if on the same network, he should be able to connect Ranorex Studio to your license server.
jecardenasri01 wrote:I know that with the ranorex agent I can run my automation on another computer but how can my partner edit my automation?
As I mentioned in your other post, Ranorex agent is only supposed to run solution on remote machine (without the need to install entire Ranorex Studio on that remote machine). If you want to edit the solution on remote machine, there must be installed full Ranorex Studio.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration