How to click to Excel form controls button

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
nguyen.tung

How to click to Excel form controls button

Post by nguyen.tung » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 am

Hi

I'm new in Ranorex.

I'm using Ranorex like an RPA tool to test an old excel app and get this problem.
I can recognize picture or tangle object in excel but cannot recognize form control button which have reference to an macro function (like attached image)
error.png
When test run, the mouse don't click to form control button like I want, it clicked to other place.
Can't anyone help me how to fix this problem.

Thanks

ps: sorry for my poor english
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: How to click to Excel form controls button

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 am

Hi,

Please upload a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of the problematic excel file. Even better, if possible, please upload the excel file itself. Thanks.

BTW, I just tried to track a form button, created in newly made excel file (most recent office 365) and the button is correctly tracked via Ranorex. The only problem is, that the button is identified as a picture, with no relevant info available (not even button name). It's recognized that way even in MS Inspect tool. So there is unfortunately nothing you or Ranorex can do about this.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nguyen.tung

Post by nguyen.tung » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 am

Hi

Sorry for my bad description. Let me describe again.

In the left screenshot, when ranorex spy the "rectangle shape button", it can track the button ONLY (the red line around the button).
But in the right screenshot, when ranorex spy the "form control button", it cannot track the button itsefl but the hole screen (the red line around the workbook). I believe that when run the test, ranorex will click on the point base on the relative coordinate of the recognized object (which is the workbook's screen area).
-> The problem occur when I run the test in difference PC with difference screen size. Ranorex click on the wrong point when run the test or can't click on the button if it was hided due to the small screen size.

By the way, I uploaded the excel file (which have only one form control button)
I'm using Windows8 64 bit with Office 2013 and Windows10 64bit with Office 2016, all of them have same problem.
Ranorex version: 8.3.2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 am

Hi,

Well, I'm afraid, it works for me? So it must be something related to your PC?
ExcelButton.png
I'm on Win 10 Pro, Office 365 and Ranorex 8.3.2.
Have you tried to add Excel form to GDI capture list?
GDICaptureList_Excel.png
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nguyen.tung

Post by nguyen.tung » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks for your reply, but can you try it on PC which have office 2013 or 2016 ?
My project working on Office 2016 so I can't update to Office 365 to test this problem.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

I'm sorry, I can't. I don't have Office 2013/16 anywhere around. But have you tried what I suggested about GDI capture list? Anyway, even with Office 365, all I'm getting from spy, is just a picture, with no usable identification attributes. So the button could be identified only by its index, which is far from optimal solution.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nguyen.tung

Post by nguyen.tung » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:45 am

I tried GDI capture list but it not fix the problem, and it seem that office 2013/16 has difference object construct with office 365 (see uploaded snapshot)
error2.png
It has "picture retangle" like office 365 but sky can't track that object, it always track the parent object "tabpage" (in my internal testing excel app which I can't upload )

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:16 am

Hi,

The snapshot you posted apparently contains the button? It's just stored as a picture (the same as in my case). So all you have to do is to (manually) add its xpath to repository.

I don't have a clue why the tracking does not work for you? As the tracking works for me, I can only guess that your problem is either caused by different OS or Office version? It may be something to check by Ranorex support/dev. folks. I would suggest you to contact Ranorex support via their support form...
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nguyen.tung

Post by nguyen.tung » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 am

Hi,

Thank you for you help, I will contact to Ranorex support.